LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JANUARY 8, 2015
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Matt Collins, Road & Bridge
Jeff Cope, Sheriff Janice Huffman, Human Resources
John Koelsch, Undersheriff Jesse Murphy, Gazette reporter
Robert Sullivan, Comm. Corrections Dir. Bob Davis, resident
Sam Seeley, Zoning
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented.
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
a. Approve Warrants Payable 1-9-2015 in the amount of $104,128.27.
b. Approve the Minutes of the 1-2-2015 meeting.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of a desk for the Payroll Office from cymax.com in the amount of $1,151.45 to be paid from Fund 010-16-9001.
Motion: To Appoint Janice Huffman as the Human Resource Director for Lyon County, Kansas.
Motion: To Appoint Dan Slater to the Regional Development Association Board.
Dan Slater abstained.
Motion: To Appoint Phil Mott to the Lyon County Planning /Appeals Board for a term to expire 12-31-17.
Motion: To Appoint Mike Langley to the Lyon County Planning/Appeals Board for a term to expire 12-31-17.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• Attended the Lyon County Extension Board meeting last evening.
• Tomorrow I plan to attend Elected Officials Day at the Emporia Christian School.
• The Joint City/County Luncheon is next Wednesday.
• The Fair Board Annual meeting is a week from Saturday.
• I participated in a fence viewing at 3544 Road P also.
• Tonight is the Ft. Riley Study Session.
• Tomorrow is the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting in Clay Center.
• Next Saturday is the Fair Board Annual meeting.
• I participated in a fence viewing at 3544 Road P yesterday.
• Tomorrow I will attend the RDA meeting.
• I will attend the Elected Officials day at the Emporia Christian School.
• I attended the meeting with the Chamber of Commerce. A final legislative agenda was decided on and the Chamber is asking that the Commission support their legislative agenda.
• Attended the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• I will attend the RDA meeting tomorrow.
• I will also participate in the Elected Officials Day at the Emporia Christian School.
• I will likely have 2 jury trials at the end of this month.
• I will attend the KCEAA Dinner in Topeka on January 28th.
• I recorded the minutes of the fence viewing yesterday at 3544 Road P.
• I attended the Local Emergency Planning Committee meeting on Tuesday.
• Attended the pre-construction meeting on Tuesday for the Anderson Building.
• Working on issues with KPERS.
Matt Collins presented Commissioners with several items to consider along with the Natural Resource Advisory Board meeting minutes and the Crushed Rock Distribution report for 2010 through 2014.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of a used 50 ton lowboy trailer from Waechter Hay and Grain for $25,000.00 to be paid from the Multi-Year Fund 017-00-9026.
Note: the retired equipment will be sold on Purple Wave.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of 1,302.0 feet of used 24” steel casing at $30.00 per foot from Henry Hoelting for $39,060.00 to be paid from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-8223.
Motion: To Approve Commission Chairman to sign the Agreement with KDOT for the Kansas Local Improvement Program.
Sheriff Cope presented Commissioners with a plan for vehicle purchases for the Sheriff’s Office from Capital Outlay in 2015.
Motion: To Approve the 2015 Vehicle Purchase Plan for the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office in the amount of $137,142.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9016 and related equipment to be paid from Fund 017-00-9031.
Robert Sullivan presented Commissioners with an updated job description for the Community Corrections Director position. Counselor Goodman suggested Commissioners create a panel for interviewing applicants. Commissioners gave direction to Robert Sullivan to proceed with posting the position opening and assist in creating an interview panel.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams, Janice Huffman and Robert Sullivan to return at 9:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at *9:42 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Robert Sullivan, Dan Williams and Janice Huffman, to return at 10:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at *10:03 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Sam Seeley, to return at 10:20 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m. with a request for an extension and Marc Goodman to join the session, to return at 10:45 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at *10:57 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at *11:22 a.m.
Sam Seeley gave Commissioners an update on the Anderson Building Improvement Project. The demolition phase will begin tomorrow with monthly updates scheduled.
Commissioners will hold a Study Session next Wednesday, January 14th at 9:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn.
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on January 14, 2015 at 9:30 a.m. and the next Action Session on January 15, 2015.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission