The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Doug Peck, Vice Chairman
Ken Duft, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Molly Priest, Asst. Co. Counselor Vici Smith, Public Relations
Dan Williams, County Controller Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Shayla Gaulding, Gazette reporter Roxy Van Gundy, LCECCC
Chip Woods, County Engineer Josh Stevenson, Road & Bridge
Janice Huffman, Human Resources Director Ryan Janzen, Appraiser
Tagan Trahoon, KVOE Reporter Keena Privat, Environmental Health
Dr. Oyenuga, Public Health Officer Renee Hively, CareArc
Melissa Smith, CareArc
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Reorganization of the Lyon County Board of Commissioners. Commissioners discussed the reorganization.
Motion: To Appoint Rollie Martin as Chairman of the Lyon County Commission. Peck/Duft 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Doug Peck as Vice Chairman of the Lyon County Commission. Duft/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Amended Agenda as presented. Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 1-19-2023 meeting. Duft/Peck 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 1-27-2023 in the amount of $119,751.38. Peck/Duft 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no action taken.
Appointments: no action taken.
Commissioners discussed the 2023 Annual Appointments for Lyon County.
Motion: To Approve the 2023 Board Appointments numbered 3 – 30 as attached. Martin/Duft 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Sally Sanchez to the Main Street Board for a term to expire 12-31-2023.
Motion: To Appoint Aaron Davis and LeRoy Boline, to the Lyon County Planning/Appeals Board with terms to expire 12-31-2025. Martin/Duft 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Gary Murphy and Tony Haag to the Recreation District #1 for a term to expire 12-31-2025. Martin/Duft 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Anna Baum, Jasmine Linabary, Joan Young, Travis Carmichael, Teresa Briggs, Cale Bolen and Bekah Selby to the Lyon County Food and Farm Council for a term to expire 12-31-2023.
Motion: To Appoint Vici Smith as the Public Relations Manager. Martin/Duft 3-0
Roxanne Van Gundy, LCECC Director presented commissioners to consider approving paying KS 911 Coordinating Council NG911 call handling bill for $73,820.00; to consider approving paying Priority Dispatch license renewal service and support for emergency medical and fire protocol system for $15,900.00; and approving for Deputy Director Buckridge, Supervisors Ayer and Jensen to attend the 360 Dispatcher Leadership Training Seminar in Bandera, TX March 20 – 24, 2023.
Motion: To Approve paying KS 911 Coordinating Council NG911 call handling bill for $73,820.00 to be paid from Fund 019-00-7600. Duft/Martin 3-0
Note: This is a yearly expense for NG911 core services. This is paid from 911 funds, not taxpayer dollars.
Motion: To Approve paying Priority Dispatch license renewal service and support for emergency medical and fire protocol system for $15,900.00 to be paid from Fund 019-00-7600. Peck/Martin 3-0
Note: This is a yearly expense for our access to protocols. This is paid from 911 funds, not taxpayer dollars.
Motion: To Approve Supervisors Smith, Ayer, and Jensen to attend the 360 Dispatcher Leadership Training Seminar in Bandera, TX March 20 – 24, 2023. Expenses not to exceed $6,000 from Fund 019-00-7410 and 019-00-7420. Duft/Peck 3-0
Note: This is paid from 911 funds, not taxpayer dollars.
Break from 9:47 to 10:00 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Chip Woods and Josh Stevenson presented Commissioners with the quote from Foley Equipment Company for a used 2018 Caterpillar Model 12M3 Motor Grader with 1,203 hours and trade in D-90, a 1998 Caterpillar Model 140H Grader for a total cost of $200,600 to be paid from the Multi-Year Fund. He also presented Commissioner with approving the quote from Longbine Autoplaza on a 2023 Silverado 250HD 4WD Crew cab pickup truck for $52,000.00 to be paid from the Multi-Year Fund.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Foley Equipment Company for a used 2018 Caterpillar Model 12M3 Motor Grader with 1,203 hours and trade in D-90, a 1998 Caterpillar Model 140H Grader for a total cost of $200,600.00 to be paid from the Multi-Year Fund 017-00-9026. Peck/Duft 3-0
Motion: To Approve the quote from Longbine Autoplaza on a 2023 Silverado 2500HD 4WD Crew cab pickup truck for $52,000.00 to be paid from the Multi-Year Fund 017-00-9026. Duft/Martin 3-0
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session for information exchange with Commissioners, Controller Williams, Counselor Priest, and Janice Huffman and to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:33 a.m. with information and direction.
Ryan Janzen, Lyon County Appraiser, presented Commissioners with approving the Advanced Job Estimate for Prepayment from Postalcity in the total amount of $15,273.37.
Motion: To Approve the Advanced Job Estimate for Prepayment from Postalcity in the total amount of $15,273.37 from Fund 010-25-7110. Peck/Martin 3-0
• Attended the Council on Aging luncheon.
• Toured the campus at ESU yesterday.
• Tonight, I will attend the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
• JEDAC meeting is coming up.
• Attended the ESU tour.
• I will attend the Flags of Gratitude Ceremony in Chase County.
• Attended the ESU tour also.
• Attended the Lyon County Historical Society meeting.
• Next Monday I will meet with the Road & Bridge Department.
• I attended the Legislative Reception in Topeka on Tuesday and Wednesday.
• No report.
• Attended the ESU tour.
• Will attend the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
Dr. Oyenuga presented Commissioners with a Public Health Report. Actively administering the vaccines for both flu and covid. Lyon County is currently in high transmission rate for covid. Following legislative changes.
Renee Hively, CareArc, along with Keena Privat and Melissa Smith presented Commissioners with the Quarterly Report and update on Environmental and Public Health. Renee also gave an update on the KDHE Waste Water Surveillance Program.
Motion: To Approve the Agreement for Public Health Services between Lyon County, Kansas and CareArc, Inc. Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for data exchange with Commissioners, Controller Williams, and Counselor Priest, to return at 12:00 p.m.
Meeting reconvened at 12:00 p.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Duft 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on Thursday, February 2, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission
LYON COUNTY COMMISSION
2023 YEARLY APPOINTMENTS
1. Commission Chairman: Rollie Martin
2. Commission Vice Chairman: Doug Peck
3. Commission Representatives:
ECKAN: Sharon Gaede
Historical Society: Ken Duft
Fair Board: Ken Duft
Extension Board: Rollie Martin
Aging Advisory Board: Rollie Martin
RDA: Doug Peck – 3 year term expiring 12-31-2023
Newman Regional Hospital Board: All Commissioners
FHTC Board of Trustees: Patrick Wiederholt 12-31-24 (4 yr. term)
Flint Hills Community Health Center Board: Doug Peck
JEDAC: Rollie Martin
4. Noxious Weed/Household Hazardous Waste Director: Amy Welch
5. Emergency Preparedness Coordinator: Jarrod Fell
6. Zoning/Flood Plain Director: Sam Seeley
7. Health Officer: Dr. Oyenuga, MD
8. County Counselor: Molly Priest
9. Assistant County Counselor: Michael Halleran
10. Investment Officer: Sharon Gaede
11. Freedom of Information Officer: Tammy Vopat
12. County Engineer: Warren Chip Woods
13. County Appraiser: Ryan Janzen
14. Security Supervisor: Tobey Kelly
15. Facilities Manager: Robbie Weiss
16. Human Resource Director: Janice Huffman
17. Controller: Dan Williams
18. United Way Representative: Sharon Gaede
19. Emporia Community Foundation (4 yr.term): Duane Henrikson – term expires 12-31-2023
20. ADA Compliance Officer: Warren Chip Woods
21. RDA Board: Bruce Boettcher term expires 12-31-2025 (3 year term)
22. Animal Control Officer: Felipe Perez
23. Official Radio Broadcaster: Emporia Radio Stations
24. Official Newspaper: The Emporia Gazette
25. Designated Depositories: All banks in the county
26. Public Information Officer: Vici Smith, Alternate Tammy Vopat
27. Fairgrounds: Dan Williams and Odalys Perez
28. I.T. Department: Chuck Boyce
29. Community Corrections Director: Steve Willis
30. Lyon County Coroner: Frontier Medical Management Services of Kansas
31. Public Relations Manager: Vici Smith