The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in action session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Doug Peck, Vice Chairman
Scott A. Briggs, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Dan Williams, County Controller Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Gabe Moore, Appraiser’s Office Zach Deloach, Gazette reporter
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consultants Inc. Sam Seeley, Zoning
Jim Brull, Road & Bridge Janice Huffman, H.R. Director
Ashley McGee, Attorney’s Office
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 10-7-2021 meeting. Briggs/Peck 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 10-15-2021 in the amount of $151,681.77. Peck/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 10-15-2021 in the amount of $292,959.40. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 10-15-2021 in the amount of $416,171.99.
Appointments: no action taken.
Motion: To Approve the 2022 Lyon County Holiday Schedule. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Commissioners discussed signing a letter of support for both Crosswinds and Hetlinger Developmental Services.
Motion: To Approve signing a Letter of Support for Hetlinger Developmental Services for a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation. Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To Approve signing a Letter of Support for Crosswinds for a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
Sam Seeley presented Commissioners with a request to consider the tabled motion for the GeoPermits Portal Development with Schneider Geopastial (Beacon) for Planning/Zoning/Floodplain web-based permitting.
Motion: To remove from the Table the issue related to Schneider Geospatial (Beacon) for web-based permitting. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the contract between Lyon County, Kansas, and Schneider Geospatial (Beacon) for the GeoPermits Portal Development for Planning/Zoning/Floodplain web-based permitting in the amount of $33,520.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9001. Martin/Peck 3-0
Jim Brull and Bruce Boettcher presented Commissioners with a request to consider bids for the deck replacement and reverting the old horseshoe of former K-99 North of the Neosho River bridge and the West side of present K-99 Highway to gravel. Jim asked for direction.
Motion: To Approve the low bid from A.M. Cohron & Son, Inc. in the amount of $615,202.52 for the deck replacement on the bridge by the APAC Quarry on Road Z for our Project 20-34 to be paid from Funds 032-00-7600 in the amount of $250,000.00; 017-00-9026 in the amount of $250,000.00; 011-00-7153 in the amount of $115,202.52. Peck/Briggs 3-0
Note: KDOT will reimburse $398,744.00 for the bridge repair.
Counselor Halleran left the meeting to attend a court procedure.
Commissioners gave direction to revert the old horseshoe of former K-99 Highway North of the Neosho River bridge and the West side of present K-99 to gravel.
Public comment: no one present.
Break from 9:47 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to allow for a Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, Controller Williams, and Janice Huffman, to return to commission chambers at 10:20 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m. in commission chambers.
• The City of Emporia will have a public hearing to establish a Rural Housing Improvement District.
• Received a Letter of Certification from the County Treasurer closing out the tax year 2020 with 98.32% collection.
• Tuesday, I attended the Vote Yes meeting.
• I was unable to attend the Lyon County Extension Board meeting.
• Attended the RDA meeting last Friday.
• I attended the Fair Board meeting on Monday. There was a letter submitted to the Fair Board from someone to donate trees and benches for the walking trail on the fairgrounds.
• The City of Emporia wants an easement at South Avenue and Prairie Street, they will send information to Counselor Goodman and Asst. County Counselor Halleran.
• I had a zoom meeting for the broadband initiative.
• We will offer early voting on Saturday, October 16th from 9:00 a.m. t0 2:00 p.m. at the Anderson Building on the fairgrounds.
• Advance voting begins on Monday, October 18th in the County Clerk’s Office. Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and ending at noon on Monday, November 1st.
• Working on the tax roll.
• I will attend the Kansas Association of Counties Conference in Kansas City next week.
• I attended the zoom meeting for the broadband initiative.
• Thank you to Ashley McGee for covering the commission meeting while I was in court.
Commissioners discussed the findings of the fence viewers on Road P5 and Road 70. Findings: Commissioners examined the partition fence between the land occupied by Pringle and Goodell. Commissioners assigned the west side of the fence to Goodell and the east side of the fence to Pringle. Commissioners ordered 1. The Goodells to rebuild the west half of the fence running east of Road P5 to Road R., on or before March 15, 2022. 2. The responsibility of Goodell to reimburse Pringle for the 175 yards of fence built by Pringle in the amount of $1,667.00 on or before March 15, 2022.
Motion: To Approve the Certificate of Assignment by Fence Viewers for the fence shared by Goodell and Pringle. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Order of Fence Viewers to Repair or Rebuild the fence shared by Pringle and Goodell. Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for confidential data exchange with Commissioners, Controller Williams, Mark McKenna, and Counselor Halleran, to return to commission chambers at 11:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:30 a.m. in commission chambers with information.
Motion: To Adjourn from commission chambers at 11:35 a.m. Martin/Peck 3-0
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission