County Clerk

Lyon County, Kansas

Services Offered

Notary – $2.00
Levy sheet – free
Copies of County records – Fifty cents per page plus tax

Licenses & Permits

Burn Permit (2 year) – FREE
House moving – $75.00
Fence viewing – $97.50
Temporary selling – $5.00


Got voter ID?
got voter ID? Learn more at

County Clerk

Tammy VopatCounty Clerk/Election Officer

430 Commercial
Emporia, KS 66801



The Kansas County Clerk and Election Official has many duties. Though it would be impossible to list every job that every county clerk/election official does, a snapshot is available below. The County Clerk’s duties are listed nearly 1,000 times in Kansas Statutes.


  • Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners
  • Records and maintains official minutes of meetings
  • Maintains all contracts with the County
  • Maintains the County Seal(s)
  • Attests the signatures of the County Commissioners on documents
  • Assists with vacation of County roads


  • Responsible for office budget(s)
  • Certifies that cash and budget are available to cover claims
  • Reviews and approves all claims for payment and issues 1099s
  • Keeps all financial reports of the County and other entities
  • Assists smaller taxing entites with budget preparation annually


  • Calculates July and November abstracts of valuation and taxation
  • Compiles and reports annual bonded indebtedness of the county
  • Prepares the tax roll in preparation of printing tax statements
  • Maintains special assessments to the tax roll
  • Processes abatements/additions and escapes to the tax roll
  • Assessment of sewer costs and placement on tax roll


  • Sells moving permits and firework permits
  • Maintains fixed asset inventory for the County
  • Assists taxpayers annually with Hometead and Food Sales Tax refunds
  • “Freedom of Information Officer” for the County
  • Maintains all legal publications for County
  • Maintains all claims against the County
  • Maintains a map of all taxing units in the County
  • Provides “check and balance” to motor vehicle, general ledger and real and personal property from other offices by maintaining a separate set of records
  • Administers County policies as set by the County Commission

Voter Registration/Election (Chapter 25 of Kansas Statutes)

  • Maintains accurate Voter Registration Rolls
  • Collects filing fees for local candidates
  • Verifies signatures on petitions for candidates, question initiatives and recalls
  • Recruits, appoints and trains board workers for all elections
  • Is responsible for all aspects of election: ballots, polling sites and equipment in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations
  • Maintains records of elections in official abstract


Homestead and Food Sales Tax Refund

Filing for the 2011 tax year will begin on Tuesday, January 3, 2012. If you need help filing your Homestead or Food Sales Tax Forms, the County Clerk’s office can assist you, FREE of charge. Our hours of assistance are Monday thru Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Homestead Refund

The Homestead Refund is a rebate of a portion of the property taxes paid on a Kansas resident’s homestead. Your refund percentage is based on your total household income. If you own your home, the refund is a percentage of your general property tax. If you rent your home, 15% of the “rent paid occupancy” is used as the property tax amount. The maximum refund is $700.

Who may qualify?

  • You must of been a Kansas resident for all of last year (2011)
  • You must have a TOTAL household income of $31,200 or less
  • You must also meet ONE of the following three requirements:
  • Born prior to January 1, 1956 or
  • Blind or totally and permanently disabled all of 2011 or
  • Have a dependent who lived with you the entire year who was born before January 1, 2011, and was under the age of 18 all of 2011.

What is needed to file?

You must have the following information for EVERY PERSON in your household:

  • Name
  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Date of Birth

You must have 2011 PROOF OF INCOME for EVERY PERSON in your household.

  • Social Security, retirement, interest (1099s)
  • SSI statements
  • Any SRS information (TAF, Food Stamps, cash assistance)
  • W2’s (if applicable)
  • If you have to file taxes, we need a copy of your prepared federal and state tax returns for 2011.
  • If you qualified for an EIC (Earned Income Credit), you will need to bring your 2010 federal tax returns as well.

If you would like to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account, we will need your banking information;

Renters will need all their landlord/property owners contact information for each place you lived in 2011 as well as the amount of rent paid for each residence.

All household members’ personal information such as name, social security number and date of birth

For additional Homestead information, visit the Kansas Department of Revenue website.

Food Sales Tax Refund

Most Kansas residents who qualify for the Homestead refund also qualify for the Food Sales Tax refund. If you do not qualify for the Homestead refund you may still be eligible for the Food Sales Tax refund.

If your qualifying income is $17,500 or less, your food sales tax refund is $90 for each dependent in your household.

If your qualifying income is $17,501, but not over $35,000, your food sales tax refund is $45 for each dependent in your household

For additional Food Sales Tax informaion, visit the Kansas Department of Revenue website.


Mill Levy

The Kansas Statutes authorize local governments to levy property taxes.  In addition to cities, townships, counties, schools, and local governments; also included are special districts such as hospitals, fire, cemeteries, watershed and libraries, etc. The history of how property classifications were asset pre re-appraisal and changes to the classified rates as listed in the Property Taxation Statewide Document.

2016 Tax Levy Sheets

2015 Tax Levy Sheets        2014 Tax Levy Sheet

 2013 Tax Levy Sheets        2012 Tax Levy Sheets

2011 Tax Levy Sheets        2010 Tax Levy Sheets