The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Doug Peck, Vice Chairman
Ken Duft, Commissioner *absent Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Molly Priest, Asst. Co. Counselor Vici Smith, Public Relations
Others attending the meeting:
Shayla Gaulding, Gazette reporter Matt Baysinger, Road & Bridge
Josh Stevenson, Road & Bridge Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Elizabeth Tate, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Peck 2-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 1-5-2023 meeting. Peck/Martin 2-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 1-13-2023 in the amount of $1,797,928.57. Peck/Martin 2-0
Appointments: Commissioners discussed a letter of resignation from Renee Stinson from the Waterloo Township Clerk position.
Motion: To Appoint Mark Ziegler to the Waterloo Township Clerk position. Martin/Peck 2-0
Note: This position was vacated by Renee Stinson.
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no action taken.
Robbie Weiss presented Commissioners with a request to discuss opening the bidding for building controls at the Law Enforcement Center. This issue was previously approved by Commission.
• Attended swearing in of Commissioner Duft.
• Next Wednesday I will attend the Kansas Association of School Boards to honor retiring Mike Argabright.
• Thank you to Clerk Vopat, Treasurer Gaede, Wendy Weiss, Odalys Perez and all those involved in putting together a nice reception for outgoing Commissioner Briggs.
• Thank you to Clerk Vopat, Treasurer Gaede, Wendy Weiss, Odalys Perez, and all those involved in putting together a nice reception for outgoing Commissioner Briggs.
• Last Friday I met with Chuck Scott from the RDA.
• Monday, I attended the swear
• Chamber of Commerce Government matters
• RDA meeting is Friday
• I received an email from Scott Briggs: I just wanted to thank you all for everything you did last Thursday. The reception was really nice, and I know there was a lot of work that went into it, and it means a lot. My experience of being a commissioner allowed me to meet and create friendships with what I consider my Lyon County family. We have shared a lot over the years, and it was truly one of the greatest times of my life.
• We did the Winter Sports Election for the Emporia High School on Tuesday.
• No report.
• Attended preconstruction meeting for the Road & Bridge improvements.
Matt Baysinger and Josh Stevenson presented Commissioners with a request to consider a quote for placing asphalt pavement on Road 70; a quote for a plate compactor; a quote for an asphalt planer.
Motion: To Approve the quote from APAC-Kansas, Inc., Shears Division for placing asphalt pavement on the road and bridge on Road 75 East of Olpe for an estimated $113,133.19 to be paid from Fund 011-00-8340. Martin/Peck 2-0
Motion: To Approve the quote from Foley Equipment Company for the Sourcewell quote for a 48” asphalt planer in the amount of $35,520.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9026. Peck/Martin 2-0
Motion: To Approve the quote from Foley Equipment Company for the Sourcewell quote for a plate compactor in the amount of $7,4770.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9026. Martin/Peck 2-0
Controller Williams presented Commissioners with a request to consider transferring funds from the General Fund to the Multi-Year Fund.
Motion: To Approve transferring $66,755.00 from the General Fund 010-00-9900 to the Multi-Year Fund 053-00-5901. Peck/Martin 2-0
Break from 9:35 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
Public comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session for evaluations with Commissioners, to return at 10:15 a.m. Martin/Peck 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:17 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session for information exchange with Commissioners, Counselor Priest, Elizabeth Tate, and Janice Huffman, to return at 10:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:35 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Peck 2-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on Thursday, January 19, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission