The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Doug Peck, Vice Chairman
Scott A. Briggs, Commissioner Joe Torres, County Clerk’s Office
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Zach Deloach, Gazette Reporter Jamie Williams, I.T. Department
Amanda Cunningham, Crosswinds Sheri Knight, Crosswinds
Dr. Ann Fritz, Crosswinds Chip Woods, County Engineer
Jarron Fell, Emergency Manager Tagan Trahoon, KVOE Reporter
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as Amended. Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 4-29-2021 meeting. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-7-2021 in the amount of $242,184.46 Peck/Briggs 3-0
Appointments: Commissioners discussed board appointments.
On March 25, 2021 the commission made a motion to approve an incorrect amount to pay Safety Vision. A motion will need to be made to rescind original motion and a new motion will be made with the correct amount.
Motion: To rescind the motion on March 25, 2021 stated as follows, “To approve the quote from Safety Vision for security and safety equipment for the L-CAT buses in the amount of $2,696.65 to be paid from fund 010-63-9001. Note: There are matching funds to be paid by the state.” Martin/Peck 3-0
Motion: To approve the quote from Safety Vision for security and safety equipment for the L-CAT buses in the amount of $20,339.65 to be paid from fund 010-63-9001. The State of Kansas will reimburse Lyon County $17,643.00 which would leave the balance of $2,696.65 as Lyon County’s responsibility. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
Amanda Cunningham, Chief Executive Officer for Crosswinds, presented to the commissioners a letter with the 2022 Appropriation Request in the amount of $408,000.00. She stated that they had not asked for an increase in the previous 2 years. She also presented to the commissioners their 2020 Annual Report. She stated that they are starting the process of looking to find a place to combine all their various offices in Lyon County. She presented to the commissioners a card with information of those only being served in Lyon County. She thanked the commissioners for their partnership and ongoing support.
Chip Woods, Lyon County Engineer, appeared before the commissioners to deliver the County Engineer Annual Report for 2020. He went over the report with the commissioners explaining different items on the report. It was stated that this report is for information only and does not have to be accepted with a motion. It was made known that a couple of Lyon County residents wanted to say thank you to the Road and Bridge Department for doing a good job at making the roads look nice.
Public comment: no one present.
Break until 10:00 am
Jarrod Fell presented the Disaster Resolution for Lyon County for the commissioners to consider extending for 28 days. He stated that there are 104 counties still under declaration along with the State of Kansas. We are still using the National Guard at times for vaccination clinics which reduces the impact on public health. It is a good idea to keep the declaration in effect in case we need those resources for upcoming vaccination clinics. Jared Fell also wanted it to be known that today is National Nurse’s Day so be sure to show them your appreciation.
Motion: To renew the Lyon County Disaster Resolution for 28 days ending on June 3, 2021.
Dan Williams presented the annual contract with Silverson Security for security out at the Lyon County Fairgrounds. He stated that it is just a continuation and that there are no changes to the contract. The contract does state that it automatically renews every year, but the county would like to have a signed contract every year.
Motion: To approve the security services contract for 2021 with Silverson Security. Briggs/Peck 3-0
• I would like to thank Commissioner Peck for attending the JEDAC meeting in my absence.
• I attended the city/county RDA informational luncheon
• I will be attending a Lyon County Extension Board meeting on Monday.
• I put in my reservation to attend the Lyons Club dedication of the awning at the fairgrounds on May 19, 2021. We may schedule a meeting to look at some budgets at that work study session prior to the dedication on that day.
• We will have a road viewing next week out in southeast Lyon County. We may take a look at a couple of other things going on in southeast Lyon County if time permits.
• I attended the RDA meeting yesterday with the city/county.
• On Tuesday morning, I attended the JEDAC meeting in person, in place of Commissioner Martin.
• I attended the joint meeting with RDA city/county and Emporia Enterprises yesterday.
• I have RDA at 7:00 a.m. in the morning.
• No report.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting by zoom on Tuesday.
• I will attend the RDA meeting tomorrow by zoom.
• I attended the RDA city/county and Emporia Enterprises meeting yesterday.
• We have a fair board meeting on Monday.
• Commissioner Martin has been requested to say some words on May 19, 2021.
• I have sent out the budget sheets to the departments. I have not sent them out to the appropriation people at this time.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for data exchange with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman, Controller Williams and Sam Seeley, to return to commission chambers at 10:45 a.m. in commission chambers. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:45 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for data exchange with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman and Controller Williams, to return at 11:30 a.m. in commission chambers. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:30 a.m. in commission chambers.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Peck 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on May 13, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Joe Torres Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Deputy Clerk Lyon County Commission