The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner * by phone Nadine M Buell, Deputy Co. Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Tagan Trahoon, KVOE reporter Doug Peck, resident
Phill Mott, resident Robert McClelland, resident
Ryan Janzen, Appraiser Linda Forbes, resident
Sam Seeley, Zoning Dir.
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 7-23-2020 meeting.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 7-31-2020 in the amount of $146,905.59. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Appointments: no action taken
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no action taken.
Dan Williams presented Commissioners with the Proposed 2021 Budget for publication. The mill levy is 55.713, which is a decrease of 4.016 mills from this year’s budget. The Budget Authority for Expenditures in the amount of $31,224,743 and the amount of 2021 Ad Valorem Tax amount of $16,650,929. In the 2020 budget the new radio system for Emergency Management was proposed to be paid in full, but the decision was made to do the lease agreement due to the pandemic. One of the changes being increased was the Health Department in the amount $200,000.00.
Motion: To approve the publication for the Lyon County Proposed 2021 Budget. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Note: The Public hearing will be August 20, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. The mill levy cannot be increased, but it can be decreased.
Dan Slater left the meeting.
Ryan Janzen presented Commissioners with the results of 2019 Ratio Study and the County was found in compliance.
Public Comment: Linda Forbes discussed COVID-19 and to try to educate people.
• On Monday afternoon, I attended the Council on Aging meeting, but there was not a quorum.
• I plan to attend the JEDAC meeting on next week Tuesday at 7:00 a.m.
• Received a letter from the City of Olpe to consider a 10-year tax exemption for the Schmidt Custom Cabinetry new addition.
• Please vote on August 4, 2020 or before.
• On Thursday, I attended a meeting with the CARE ACTS Committee.
• I had a discussion with the Health department last week.
• I attended a zoom meeting on Tuesday with the Health Department.
• I attended the CARE ACTS meeting yesterday.
• I would say to have everyone go vote. I wish everyone good luck.
• No report.
• No Report
• I attended a meeting last week Thursday and yesterday regarding the CARES ACT funding process.
• Sales tax revenue for July was $245,203.94.
• I plan to attend the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday whether it be in person or by zoom.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session Data Confidentiality with Commissioners, Sam Seeley, Dan Williams, Marc Goodman, and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:20 a.m. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m. with direction to Sam Seeley.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session Data Confidentiality with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran, and Dan Williams, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, to return a 11:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:35a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 2-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on August 6, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Nadine M Buell Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Deputy Clerk Lyon County Commission