The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner *by phone Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Phill Mott, resident Robert McClelland, resident
Casey Woods, Main Street Melissa McAllister, resident
Hope McAllister, resident Roxy Van Gundy, 911 Director
Adam Blake, Gazette reporter Tagan Trahoon, KVOE reporter
Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 7-9-2020 meeting as amended.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 7-17-2020 in the amount of $155,165.67. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Appointments: no appointments made.
Motion: To Approve the Payroll Change Authorizations as presented.
Permits: no applications received.
• Fair Board meeting was Monday evening. They made decisions on the fair activities.
• Attended a zoom meeting at the Emergency Operations Center.
• Thank you to Commissioner Briggs on his attendance at the EOC.
• I attended the Lyon County Extension Board meeting. They discussed different ways to present the fair.
• Kent Heerman, RDA reported there will be a Ribbon Cutting on West Hwy 50 and Road F. I was invited to speak at the ceremony.
• Received calls related to public gatherings and how they are affected by the Public Health Order.
• Attended a panel discussion during the Lyon County Republican meeting.
• No report.
• Attended the Fair Board meeting.
• Met with the Health Department on their contract and appropriation request.
• I will meet with Western Consulting about the CARES Act funding.
• Working on budgets.
• The Election Office mailed over 3,500 ballots on Wednesday as required by state statute. Reported from the Secretary of State yesterday, a record 263,000 ballots were mailed statewide with the previous record of 35,000. I congratulate my staff for the dedication and work involved in the task of processing the number of ballots requested by mail. This was a huge undertaking.
• We will offer Saturday voting this week at the Flint Hills Mall from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Advance voting will begin Monday next week in my office.
• RDA meeting is tomorrow.
Roxy Van Gundy presented Commissioners with a request to consider the contract for emergency protocols for the 911 Department.
Motion: To Remove from the Table the contract for ProQA Emergency Medical/Fire protocols in the amount of $154,961.48 to be paid from Fund 019-00-9001. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the purchase of EDF/EMD ProQA from Priority Dispatch Corp. in the amount of $154,961.48 to be paid from Fund 019-00-9001.
Note: Approved as to form and content. These are 911 fees used for this purchase and not tax dollars.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to allow for a Legal Executive Session for Data Confidentiality with Commissioners, Controller Williams, Counselor Halleran and Counselor Goodman, to return at 9:45 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:45 a.m.
Public comment: Phill Mott commented about the zoning process and the changes made to the comprehensive plan. Phill explained the regulating plan contained in the comprehensive plan. He requested action be taken by the Commission related to the zoning plan. Melissa McAllister discussed an article related to free speech. Melissa also read from the Constitution and other quotes. She asks about the screening kiosks being required.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Counselor Halleran, Controller Williams, Casey Woods and Counselor Goodman, to return at 10:15 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, Janice Huffman and Controller Williams to return at 10:40 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:40 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session Attorney/Client with Commissioners, Controller Williams and Counselor Goodman, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Sam Seeley, Controller Williams and Counselor Goodman, to return at 11:15 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:45 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on July 23, 2020.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission