The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner by phone Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Chip Woods, County Engineer Jim Brull, Asst. County Engineer
Phil Mott, resident Robert McClelland, resident
Lillian Spellman, resident Viola Heskett, resident
Harley Heskett, resident Melissa McAlister, resident
Lynn McAlister, resident
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 4-30-2020 meeting. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-8-2020 in the amount of $264,224.96. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Appointments: Commissioners discussed board appointments.
Commissioners discussed a proclamation submitted by East Central Kansas Economic Opportunity Cooperation (ECKAN).
Motion: To Proclaim the month of May 2020 as Community Action Month in recognition of the hard work and dedication of all Emporia, Kansas, Community Action Agencies. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• I attended several zoom meetings and have been observing at the Emergency Operations Center. Concern about both safety and health along with the mill levy.
• I was involved in the negotiations of the public order on Friday. A lot of good discussion and a compromise was made.
• On Tuesday I attended the JEDAC meeting via zoom.
• Received a letter from Crosswinds to inform us of their course of action.
• Received a call from a barber concerned about not being allowed to open. We are beginning to see a stabilization of cases.
• Glass and materials will be delivered on May 16th for installation the following week.
• Thank you to all the EOC members for their dedication and help.
• Budget meetings will be scheduled after the courthouse is open.
• RDA meeting was cancelled.
• I will try to attend the next meeting in person.
• Sent out budget sheets to departments.
• Emailed appropriation letters.
• I was on the radio this morning to announce we are mailing out advance ballot by mail applications to all registered active voters. The applications will be showing up in mailboxes next Tuesday.
• The Secretary of State’s Office has informed the counties of the reimbursement process for expenses related to the Covid-19 virus.
• I attended the JEDAC zoom meeting.
• RDA meeting was cancelled.
• Drug court was done on U-Tube.
• Court proceedings by zoom to me seem ineffective.
Chip Woods presented Commissioners with a request to consider a resolution regarding minimum maintenance road signs; consider approving an agreement for emergency relief-roadway repair for the 2019 flood events.
Motion: To Remove from the Table a Resolution declaring certain roads under jurisdiction and control of Lyon County as minimum maintenance roads.
Commissioners discussed a Resolution declaring certain roads under jurisdiction and control of Lyon County as minimum maintenance roads.
Motion: To Approve publication of Resolution 07-20 a Resolution to declare certain roads under jurisdiction and control of Lyon County as minimum maintenance roads. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Agreement No. 110-20 with KDOT for Project 56 C-5045-01 for Emergency Relief-Roadway Repair for the 2019 flood events.
Public comment: Harley Heskett commented about the Covid-19 and his concerns about the economic impact. Expressed his concern about opening business and the process we are using. Do we know what the effects on tax? We need to not raise taxes and we need to get people back to work. Have you thought about decisions being made on requests to commissioners? Guidelines need to be questioned. Lynn McAlister commented today is National Day of Prayer and you have been in our prayers. Lynn talked about the graphs presented by the Health Department and his interpretation of the reports on the Covid-19 tests. Lynn recommended we put people back to work. Melissa McAlister questioned Commissioners about the symbols and who made the decisions about the design for the symbols. The order on May 1st made by Renee Hively keeping restrictions on the restaurants, what authority did she have? Commissioner Martin explained the decision made. Melissa asked if the Commissioners be allowing Renee Hively to make decisions. Counselor Goodman commented on the challenges to the statutes. Commissioner Briggs explained the partners of the Emergency Operations Center who collectively decided on the May 1st order.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners for evaluation to return at 10:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Security Exemption with Commissioners, Controller Williams, Chuck Boyce and Counselor Goodman, to return at 10:50 a.m. Martin/Slater 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:48 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Data Exchange with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman and Controller Williams, to return at 11:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on May 14, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission