The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner: absent Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Larry Redeker, resident Jack Hayes, resident
Phill Mott, resident Ken Bazil, resident
Brandon Rains, resident Brenda Ryno, resident
Zach Hacker, Gazette reporter Dwayne Coble, resident
Robert McClelland, resident Chip Woods, County Engineer
Ryan Janzen, County Appraiser Tagan Trahoon, KVOE reporter
John Koelsch, Undersheriff Jeff Cope, Sheriff
Roxy Van Gundy, 911 Director Kevin Darbyshire, resident
Darin Dingman, resident Lillian Spellman, resident
Fred Spellman, resident Greg Markowitz, resident
Shawn Stewart, AAA Harley Heskett, resident
Vi Heskett, resident Cindy Tarr, resident
Gary Watts, resident Don Wise, resident
Ruth Wise, resident Kevin Trear, resident
L. Shook, resident Jim Ferguson, resident
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 3-5-2020 meeting. Briggs/Martin 2-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 3-13-2020 in the amount of $271,833.80. Briggs/Martin 2-0
Appointments: Commissioners discussed board appointments.
Counselor Goodman discussed the delinquent tax collection for the 2020 tax sale.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 04-20, a Resolution Authorizing Foreclosure of Tax Liens and Sale of Real Property for Collection of Delinquent Taxes.
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• I met with Rob Gilligan and Shane Shively to discuss item.
• I was unable to attend the Fair Board meeting.
• Several road issues reported due to the rain and rock quality.
• On Tuesday I participated in a candidate forum at the Republican Party monthly meeting.
• Wednesday, I attended the Lyon County Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
• I would like to address plans related to the coronavirus and list our emergency and health department members: Jarrod Fell, Emergency Manager, Jennifer Millbern, FHCHC and Esther Knobblock, Newman Regional Health. They will participate in the KDHE conference call today with a report on Kansas. I visited with Rene Hively, FHCHC to discuss the roles. If a quarantine is necessary, she has the power to decide along with working with other members of the county. On Friday there will be a KVOE interview to discuss the virus.
• The bridge on K-7: The Road & Bridge supplied information of a comparison to another bridge. K-7 drains 4.2 square miles behind Olpe Lake. I directed an engineering study for improvements including financial reports from the Road & Bridge Department.
• I attended the Fair Board meeting and Foundation meetings.
• Assisted with issues at the Anderson Building.
• I attended the Sanborn training in Wichita last week which was very well attended.
• I participated in the PIO Quarterly meeting on Tuesday. Jennifer Millbern with FHCHC led the meeting with information on the coronavirus.
• I was able to locate and purchase disinfectant wipes and spray for all the offices in the courthouse and will replenish the central supply stock.
• RDA meeting is tomorrow.
Chip Woods presented Commissioners with a request from Jim Johnson for an entrance at 4 Locust Lane in Thorndale. Chip also reported on a bridge and requested direction from Commission to send out request for proposals on materials.
Motion: To Approve the Entrance Application for Jim Johnson at 4 Locust Lane in Thorndale. Briggs/Martin 2-0
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to allow for a Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners and Counselor Goodman, to return at 9:40 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:40 a.m.
Public comment: Commissioner Martin asked those present to state their name and group associated with and the time allowance for each person speaking. Commissioner Martin stated no disrespect will be allowed. Ken Bazil stated he represented quite a few taxpayers in Lyon County. He understands the valuation process and the issue of taxes increasing constantly. Residents are being forced to move from their homes because they can’t afford their property taxes. Harley Heskett discussed read a letter from a taxpayer and left it with Commissioners. The letter was focused on the tax increases. Fred Spellman commented his residence increased 60% this year. Ken Bazil commented on how to get this issue on the ballot. Cindy Tarr commented on the increase of the valuation, lack of gravel on the road on their roads. Jack Hayes commented on the money given to ESU for scholarships and the City of Emporia for Ignite Emporia. Commissioner Martin offered information on the funds expended for the college and the city. Greg Markowitz asked his appraisal increased significantly. Greg also commented about this increase of the mill levy. Commissioner Briggs explained on the mill levy process. Greg commented that the Commission needs to start saying “no” and the state of the county. Gary Watts commented on the road conditions. Commissioner Martin commented on the cost of road maintenance. Kevin Trear commented on the appeals process. He purchased a property and commented about his appraisal. Greg Markowitz talked about being more efficient in the way services are being provided. Robert McClelland commented on the road graders, amount of trucks and trips to gravel the entire county. Fred Spellman commented on the signage on the roads regarding commercial traffic.
Presentation of Platinum AAA Traffic Safety Award to Lyon County Sheriff’s Office. Shawn Stewart and Dan Keiser presented the award to the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office. Several programs were recognized as Lyon County Sheriff’s Office participates resulting in increased safety.
Roxanne Van Gundy presented Commissioners with a request to consider replacement of all Lyon County Communications Center (LCECC) computers, monitors and additional cords and mounts for $18,296.07 from CDW.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of replacement computers, monitors and additional cords and mounts in the amount of $18,296.07 from CDW and Amazon for the 911 Lyon County Emergency Communications Center, to be paid from Fund 019-00-8321. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Note: The funds used for this purchase are 911 Funds collected from service fees and not tax dollars.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Date with Commissioners, Controller Williams and Counselor Goodman, to return at 11:15 a.m. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:15 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 2-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on March 19, 2020.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission