The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Nadine M. Buell, Deputy Co. Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Zach Hacker, Emporia Gazette Reporter Tagan Trahoon, KVOE Reporter
Doug Peck, resident Phil Mott, resident
Robert McClelland, resident Carissa McClelland, resident
Samuel Seeley, Zoning Chip Woods, County Engineer
Joshua Stevenson, Shop Supr. Janice Huffman, HR
Amanda Cunningham, Crosswinds Ann Fritz, Crosswinds Board
Dr. Allison Garrett, ESU President Rene Hively, FHCHC
Jennifer Millbern, FHCHC Melissa Smith, FHCHC
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 2-06-2020 meeting. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 2-14-2020 in the amount of $396,708.78. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Deanne Korsak for the Non-Lawyer Member of District Judicial Nomination for 5th Judicial District for a four year term to expire March of 2024. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Dan Williams presented Commissioners with an appropriation for Flint Hills Technical College for $50,000.00 for 2019-2020 FHTC HHS Department Equipment.
Motion: To Approve the invoice for Flint Hills Technical College for $50,000.00 for FHTC HHS Department for equipment to be paid from Fund 017-00-9811.
Note: This is paid with the sales tax funds.
Personnel Changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
Samuel Seeley presented Commissioners with Annual Recertification Application for continued participation in the Consumer Rating System Program. This gives landowners a discount on flood insurance premiums. There are 29 policies in Lyon County. Commissioner Briggs wanted to clarify that the new flood plain maps are not set by the Planning and Zoning Department. They are set by FEMA or Federal Government.
Motion: To Approve Chairman signing the Annual Recertification Application for participation in the Consumer Rating System Program. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Chip Woods and Joshua Stevenson presented Commissioners with quotes for a 2020 Diamond C 35 Foot Gooseneck Trailer.
Motion: To Approve the low bid from D & L Trailers for a 2020 Diamond C 35 Foot Gooseneck Trailer in the amount of $19,482.00 to be paid from the multi-year fund 017-00-9026. Martin/Briggs 3-0
• I attended the Lyon County Fair Board meeting on Monday. I would like to thank Dan Williams for an excellent job reporting on the Fair Board Foundation Committee.
• I attended the History Center and Annual meeting on Tuesday.
• I was proud of the Lyon County Management, Lyon County Sheriff’s Department, USD 253, and the Newman Regional Hospital on how they were setting up the ER and handling the students that where involved in bus accident yesterday.
• I would like to congratulate our Human Resource Officer, Janice Huffman on recertifying her IPMA-HR Senior Certified Professional (IPMA-SCP). I would like to thank her for all her hard work and dedication she did for the Certification.
• We need to discuss items for the next City/County meeting that is scheduled for February 26, 2020.
• I plan on attending the Lyon County Fair Board Foundation meeting on Tuesday.
• I discussed Road concerns with Dennis Baysinger.
• I plan on attending the RDA meeting tomorrow.
• City/County meeting will be February 26, 2020
• RDA Retreat is on February 26, 2020.
• Road Viewing is on February 26, 2020.
• I attended the Fair Board meeting on Monday.
• Working with the Auditors this week.
• I plan to attend the RDA meeting on Friday.
• No Report.
Public comment: no one present.
Motion: To Amend the agenda to allow Janice Huffman to talk about a program that will help County employees. Martin-Briggs 3-0
Janice Huffman presented Commissioners with Tickets at Work as a benefit for the Lyon County Employees. Commissioners gave Janice Huffman permission to fill out the Corporate Application Form for Tickets at work.
Amanda Cunningham and Anne Fritz presented Commissioners with a year-end review from Crosswinds Counseling & Wellness. Commissioners are welcome to attend our Annual meeting in April.
Dr. Allison Garrett thanked the Commissioners for their scholarship support which supported one hundred forty-four students. Dr. Garrett gave an update on several things that are happening at Emporia State University which includes the increase in enrollment, the nursing program, the athletic training, and they are working on other programs.
Renee Hively, Melissa Smith, and Jennifer Millbern presented Commissioners with the fourth quarterly report for the Flint Hills Community Health Center. Jennifer invited the Commissioners to attend the upcoming statewide full-scale exercise covering pandemic influenza in April.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Jamie Sauder, Marc Goodman, and Dan Williams to return at 11:20 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:18 a.m., with a request for extension, to return at 11:40 a.m. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:40 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, and Dan Williams to return at 12:00 p.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 12:00 p.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on February 20, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
Nadine M. Buell Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Deputy Clerk Lyon County Commission