The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following attending:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Lex Price, resident Sam Seeley, Zoning
Tagan Trahoon, KVOE reporter Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 10-17-2019 meeting. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 10-25-2019 in the amount of $91,164.44. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Appointments: no action taken.
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• No report.
• Next Monday is the Department on Aging meeting.
• On Monday I participated in the Talk Of Emporia radio interview and focused on the Reading Wind Farm.
• Waiting for levy certification from 3 adjoining counties to move forward with the tax roll.
• The election process is going well. We will finish mobile voting for the senior care facilities tomorrow. We processed 232 voters on Saturday.
• Monday and Tuesday prosecutors were in County and District Attorney conference.
• National Conference next week.
• The following week is JEDAC and RDA meetings.
• We performed the tax sale last evening. Properties with no bids, strips of land and empty lots in Americus, also nuisance properties, need Commission direction to proceed.
• Met with City of Emporia Manager and Assistant Manager.
• Met with Motorola representatives.
• Housing study meeting is today.
Sam Seeley presented Commissioners with the Kansas APA 2019 Pioneer (Rural) Award by the Quad State Planning Conference and reported on the Quad State Planning Conference. Sam reported on several focus topics he learned at the conference. Sam mentioned the Agriculture Workshop on November 7th at the Annex.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Sam Seeley and Counselor Goodman, to return at 8:45 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 8:48 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Sam Seeley, Michael Halleran and Counselor Goodman, to return at 9:05 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:05 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 9:15 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:17 a.m.
Janice Huffman presented Commissioners with a consideration to discuss the SHRM Volunteer Leadership Business Meeting in Washington, DC with travel and expense paid by SHRM. She also talked about job descriptions, salary and FMLA changes.
Commission gave direction for Janice Huffman to attend the SHRM Volunteer Leadership Business Meeting in Washington, DC on November 13-16, 2019.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, Janice Huffman, Jeff Cope and John Koelsch, to return at 9:40 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:35 a.m. with direction to Janice Huffman, H.R. Director
Public comment: Lex Price addressed the Commission with information related to the zoning regulations on the Price Tract. Lex stated he agreed with regulating zoning while long term goals are met. Commissioners thanked Lex for his information.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to consider for personnel changes.
Motion: To Approve the Personnel Change Authorization Report.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data with Commissioners, Dan Williams, Michael Halleran and Counselor Goodman, to return at 10:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 10:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:50 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on October 31, 2019.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission