Burn Permits

Lyon County Emergency Management

Burn Permits: Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between a Burn Ban and an Open Burning Permit?
A Burn Ban is a Resolution limiting open burning within a county by the Board County Commission.  A Burn Ban prohibits the building, maintaining, attending or using any open fire or campfire except in permanent stoves, fireplaces or barbeque grills in developed recreational sites or residential lawns when there is an imminent threat that could be caused by fire. An Open Burning Permit is a two year permit that individuals are required to get when they want to conduct an open burn and are not restricted as to when they can burn.
Is there a charge for the 2 year permit?

No, the permits are free of charge and can be obtained at the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office in the lobby Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m excluding holidays.  Call 620-341-3203 if you would like information on locations that issue permits near you.

Do I only need 1 permit per 2 year timeframe or do I need a new permit each time I burn?
Only 1 permit is required during the 2 year timeframe.
If I lose my permit do I need to get a new one?
No, just come to the Sheriff’s Office Monday through Friday 8:00 to 5:00 and request a copy of your permit.
Why do I need to call in a burn?
Calling in a controlled burn and reporting when it is complete helps to avoid false alarm calls and helps to identify a legitimate call. Also, calling in planned burning activities helps to get assistance quickly to the location of a controlled burn that may have gotten away and requires help to get extinguished.
What information is needed on the Burn Permit?
The name of the person who will be doing the burn, the address of the person doing the burn, the phone number and cell phone number of the person doing the burn, and the signature of the person requesting the permit.
Who should the Burn Permit be issued to and at what location?
Permits are issued to the individual that is doing the burn and not to the location or property where the burn is being done.  Only 1 permit is needed even if several individuals are helping with the burn.
Do I need to contact anyone before I begin the burn?
Yes, contact the Lyon County Emergency Communications Center at 620-343-4225 before you begin the burn. *Note: The person conducting the burn shall insure that the burn is supervised until the fire is extinguished.
Do I need to contact anyone after the burn?
Yes, call the Lyon County Emergency Communications Center at 620-343-4225 when the burn is complete. Note: The person conducting the burn shall insure that the burn is supervised until the fire is extinguished.
Do I need a Burn Permit to burn household trash?
No, however, the person burning is liable for any damages and subject to a fine if the burn gets out of control.
Do I need a Burn Permit to burn within the incorporated city limits of my community?
Check with your city officials to see what your local regulations are within your city limits.
Would there ever be a time that I might be told I can not conduct a burn?
Yes,  The Lyon County Board of County Commission may impose a county-wide Burn Ban when the lack of moisture or fire hazard conditions are such that they could cause the occurrence or imminent threat of widespread or severe damage, injury or loss of life or property.
Where can I find more information concerning the requirements under Resolution 37-09?
Lyon County Emergency Management 620-340-3203