620-341-3257 620-341-3325 (fax)
Application for title and registration must be made in the County Treasurer ’s Office in the county of residence or place of business. To avoid penalties, this must be done within 30 days of date of purchase of a vehicle, or if moving into Kansas, 90 days after establishing residence.
Effective January 2003, the State stopped issuing titles to vehicles with liens on them. These titles are held by the State in an electronic format. When a lien is paid off, bring notarized lien release into the Motor Vehicle office to be sent to the State. When received by the State and all paperwork is complete, a title will be printed and mailed to the customer. THIS MAY NOT COVER ALL INSTANCES; IF QUESTIONS ARISE, PLEASE CONTACT MOTOR VEHICLE OFFICE AT 620-341-3257.
What you need to:
Title a vehicle
Title Fee (new or used) — $10.00
- Properly assigned MSO (manufacturer’s statement of origin)
- Proof of insurance: MUST show year, make and ID number of vehicle, name of insured and the effective and expiration dates of policy, company name and policy number, certificate of self-insurance, binder, commercial policy, fleet policy, or motor carrier ID number issued by corporate commission. Proof of insurance may be faxed ahead of time.
- Sales tax receipt from Kansas dealer. If out of state dealer, county will collect sales tax and bill of sale or copy of invoice required.
- Must show current Kansas Drivers License or KSID.
- Properly assigned title; if out of state or non-highway title, a VIN inspection is required. This may be obtained at the Sheriff’s Office on Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Must see vehicle and title; a $15 cash fee is required.
- Rebuilt salvage/non-highway $20.00
- Proof of insurance. SEE ABOVE
- Sales tax receipt from a Kansas dealer; if purchased from an individual, sales tax will be collected on the purchase price on title or bill of sale.
- Notarized lien release if lien showing on face title.
- Current Kansas Drivers License or KS ID.
Transfer of plates
Transfer Fee — $20.50 to $22.00 with loan
- Title or MSO and other forms required for titling vehicles.
- Current registration receipt or plate number and fee for duplicate registration.
- Previous vehicle MUST be sold or traded within 30 days of new purchase.
- Name of purchaser of sold vehicle.
- Assignment of new title must be the same as name or names on previous registration.
- ALL TITLE OR REGISTRATION APPLICATIONS MUST BE SIGNED BY THE REGISTERED OWNER.
MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEES
- Autos less than 4500 lbs $39.00
- Autos over 4500 lbs $49.00
- 12M Trucks $49.00
- Motorcycles $25.00
- Motorized bicycles $20.00
- 2000 to 8000 lbs $24.00
- 8001 to 12000 lbs $34.00
- 12001 and over $44.00
- Trailers with a gross weight (trailer and load) under 2000 pounds and farm trailers, hauling farmers own products with a gross weight of less than 6000 pounds are not required to be registered. However, titling and registering when first purchased is recommended in case of lost title or if traveling out of state.
- Fees for trucks with a gross weight of over 16000 pounds may be obtained by calling motor vehicle office.
- Property tax is paid at the time of registration on cars, trucks with a 12M weight, and motorcycles. Heavy trucks, trailers and motorized bicycles pay taxes as personal property in December.
- The sales tax rate for Lyon County is 7.8%; for the City of Emporia , it is 8.8% for vehicle purchased here. Vehicles purchased in cities or counties with local tax will be subject to that tax also.
Effective July 1, 2011 inspection fees for all out-of-state titles for used vehicles and Kansas non-highway vehicles will be $15.00 (Cash). Inspection fee for salvage vehicles will be $20.00 (Cash).
The information contained in this website is accurate to the best of our ability. However, laws do change from time to time. Users should bear that in mind when accessing information from this website.