LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JULY 24, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Tammy Vopat, County Clerk Dan Williams, County Controller
Marc Goodman, County Counselor
Others attending part of the meeting:
Chip Woods, County Engineer Doug Stueve, Department on Aging
Jesse Murphy, Gazette Reporter Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 7-25-2014 in the amount of $241,537.21.
Motion: To Approve Jury Fees Payable 7-25-2014.
Motion: To rescind previous motion.
Commissioners signed a reissue of a payroll check which was approved last week. (ACH transaction failed due to incorrect account number.)
Personnel Changes: no action taken
Permits: no applications submitted
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 7-17-2014 meeting as corrected.
• Last Friday I did not attend the RDA meeting, I attended the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting on Friday in Grandview Plaza, Kansas. We are planning the retreat for August 22nd at ESU.
• The Friends of the 4-H dinner this evening.
• The City of Reading is planning to join the Flint Hills Council.
• Commission received a letter of resignation from Brian Schmidt, board member of Fire District #1.
• Attended the Fairgrounds Improvement Committee meeting.
• Council of Aging meeting is next week.
• BG Consultants will meet to discuss the Anderson Building design on Monday at 11:00 a.m.
• We will finish mobile voting tomorrow. Thank you to the League of Women Voters for their help.
• Advance voting is very slow, only 106 voters so far.
• Next week I will be training election board workers, Deputy Linebarger will record the minutes for the Commission meeting.
• Working on budgets.
• Sales tax numbers are up over last years numbers.
• Attended the RDA meeting on Friday, there was no quorum.
Chip Woods presented the Commissioner with a request from the City of Americus to chip seal the parking lot at the Americus Senior Center.
Commissioners noted they would like Commissioner Slater to be present for action to be taken on this request. This is located in Commissioner Slater’s district. Chip also discussed the expense comparison reports for 2013 and 2014.
Doug Stueve asked Commissioners to consider approving Jan Arb attending the Kansas Public Transit Association 2014 Annual Meeting & EXPO in Wichita, Kansas, August 11th 13th.
Motion: To Approve Jan Arb attending the Kansas Public Transit Association 2014 Annual Meeting & EXPO in Wichita, Kansas from August 11-13, 2014.
Training expenses in the amount of $185.00 to be paid from Fund 010-64-7411 and travel expenses in the amount of $442.00 to be paid from Fund 010-64-7420.
Budget Discussion: Dan Williams presented an adjusted budget to Commissioners for their consideration.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Sam Seeley, to return at 10:10 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:12 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Dan Williams, Tammy Vopat and Marc Goodman, to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:32 a.m. with information and direction.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, to return at 10:
Meeting reconvened at 10:50 a.m. with a request to continue, to return at 11:10 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:14 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn.
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on July 30, 2014 and the next Action Session on July 31, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission