LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MAY 22, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Chip Woods, County Engineer
Shelly Carver, Flint Hills Council Jeff Cope, Sheriff
Brian Anstey, Sheriff’s Office Scott Cronk, Police Chief
Ed Owens, Emporia Police Ron Shipley, Emporia Police
Dominique Vortherms, Emporia Police Jonathon Noble, Attorney’s Office
Laurie Redeker, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 5-15-2014 meeting.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-23-2014 in the amount of $67,543.76.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 5-23-2014 in the amount of $226,670.78.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 5-23-2014 in the amount of $302,957.83.
Personnel Changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications submitted.
• Last Friday I attended the Flint Hills District meeting.
• Attended the CEPERS meeting in Topeka last Wednesday.
• I may be absent next Wednesday if there is a study session scheduled.
• Monday I attended the Council on Aging meeting.
• I will help with Keep It a Safe Summer event this evening at the fair grounds.
• I plan to attend the memorial services this weekend.
• Thank you for your thoughts and prayers in the death of my father.
• I was unable to attend ECKAN meeting.
• Next Tuesday is the Health Department meeting. I received a copy of their audit which was clean.
• I will be training Election Board Members on the new electronic poll books, one session this afternoon and two sessions tomorrow.
• I will help man the Crime Stoppers booth at the Keep It a Safe Summer event at the fairgrounds this evening.
• Next week I will attend a tax workshop in El Dorado, KS.
• Attended conference last week in Virginia.
• Sales tax numbers are excellent, up over $11,408.00 from last month and $33,000.00 over last year at this time. Working on getting budget packets to department heads and setting up the new funds.
• All health care information from employees are submitted and being processed.
• Monday afternoon I attended a meeting concerning a proposed surfacing of streets in a residential area at 30th and Graphic Arts.
• The Court of Appeals panel luncheon which allowed for question and answer session.
• Drug Court was yesterday.
• I will be meeting this afternoon with Treasurer.
Chip Woods discussed two road closings, a right-of-way acquisition and presented Commissioners with the 2013-2014 Comparison Expense Report along with the Recycle Trailer Tally for April 2014, 5.905 tons recycled in April. He gave an update on the meeting minutes of the Natural Resources Advisory Board meeting.
Motion: To Approve closing Road 240 from 5th Street to Main Street from 7:00 a.m. on June 14th to 2:00 a.m. on June 15th for Americus Days.
Motion: To Approve closing Road 75 from Kansas Street to Road “M” from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on July 12, 2014 for the Olpe Down Home Fun Run/Walk.
Commission discussed a right-of-way acquisition of uneconomic remnant and gave direction to Chip Woods to seek out a negotiating agreement with the landowner. This is located at Road 200 & and Road G which is maintained by county. The landowner is requesting this in order to clean up the deeded land.
Shelly Carver was introduced to the Board by Commissioner Briggs. Shelly serves on the Flint Hills Regional Council in Manhattan. She gave a brief overview of what the council represents and their goals. A Flint Hills Regional Council retreat will be held in Emporia and she will work with Michael Shonrock to plan for the meeting.
Sheriff Cope asked the Commission to consider signing the Advanced Correctional Healthcare Contract Modification. Michael Halleran has reviewed the contract. Sheriff Cope explained a registered nurse at the jail is retiring and signing the contract will switch the nursing program over to Advanced Correctional Healthcare for adequate staffing and consistent service.
Motion: To Approve Commission Chairman to sign the Advanced Correction Healthcare Contract Modification.
Counselor Goodman confirmed with Asst. Counselor Michael Halleran and noted the contract was approved as to form and content.
Motion: To move to Legal Attorney/Client Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Michael Halleran to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:33 a.m. with direction and information.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran, Jeff Cope, Scott Cronk, Ed Owens, Rob Shipley, Dominique Vortherms, to return at 10:20 a.m.
Martin/ Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:35 a.m.
Jonathon Noble, Assistant County Attorney, informed the Commission of the information gained from the conference he attended in Virginia. Information and technology equipment used in the district courtrooms was the focus of the conference and the future of technology which will eventually be that of a paperless system. Upgrading technology concerns were of switching from analog to digital.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, meeting to reconvene at 11:03 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:03 a.m.
Motion: To move to Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Sam Seeley, to return at 11:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:15 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Michael Halleran. Laurie Redeker will join the meeting at 11:25 a.m., to return at 11:40 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:45 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Dan Williams, Michael Halleran, to return at 12:00.
Meeting reconvened at 11:55 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Sam Seeley, to return at 12:05 p.m.
Meeting reconvened at 12:00 p.m. with information.
There will be no Study Session next week.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on May 29, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission