LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MAY 8, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Joe Torres, Deputy Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Mark McKenna, Facilities
Ty Wheeler, Kansas Legal Services Brandy Nance, Emporia Gazette
Bob Davis, Resident Kevin Hanlin, City Zoning
Andrew Buchanan, Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline Inc.
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 5-1-2014 meeting as corrected.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-9-2014 in the amount of $183,337.72
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 5-9-2014 in the amount of $225,458.92
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 5-9-2014 in the amount of $173,075.70
Motion: To Cancel Check #305383 dated 3-28-2014 to Nichole Price in the amount of $20.00. Check was lost and is still outstanding with the bank.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of 100 Veterans Memorial grave markers at $19.95 each for a total of $1,995.00 to be paid from Fund [010-18-8300].
Personnel Changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications submitted.
• I attended the KCCA Conference in Manhattan, KS on Wednesday.
• I will be attending the RDA meeting tomorrow.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting Tuesday.
• I attended the KCCA in Manhattan, KS on Wednesday.
• All employees with County Health Insurance need to attend one of the mandatory health insurance meetings on Monday and Tuesday.
• The Law Enforcement Memorial Service will be held on Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. in front of the Civic Auditorium.
• The joint RDA, Emporia City, Lyon County and Emporia Enterprises meeting will be held Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. in the little theater in the Civic Auditorium.
• Robert J. Grover has been appointed to the Silver-Hair Legislature for a two year term beginning March 2014.
• The Lyon County Commission expresses our sorrow and condolences to former Lyon County Commissioner, Virgil Morris.
• I attended the KAC Meeting in Manhattan, KS on Wednesday.
• I will be meeting with the county libraries next Monday.
• Community Corrections advisor board meeting will be next Tuesday.
• If we have a Wednesday meeting next week, I may have to leave early.
• County Clerk Vopat is attending the Kansas County Clerks & Election Officers Association Conference in Wichita this week.
• Open enrollment for Lyon County Health Care Plan will be next Monday and Tuesday. All employees must attend one of the meetings.
• I will be in conference next week in Virginia.
• Next week I will attend the Victims Rights Conference.
• Attended JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• I will attend the Law Enforcement Ceremony on Wednesday.
Mark McKenna discussed the fire alarm contract at the annex. He also discussed the software board at jail.
Motion: To approve the Fire Alarm Contract at Annex with an annual monitoring fee of $420.00 and to purchase software board at the jail for $3,500.00 to be paid from Fund [010-18-7280].
Ty Wheeler, Kansas Legal Services discussed the budget request for Kansas Legal Services. He stated all the good benefits of have an organization like Kansas Legal Services to serve the public. He also stated that it has been a while since they have asked for an increase in their budget request.
Kevin Hanlon, City of Emporia Zoning, came before the commissioners to ask for the consideration of Planning Commission Application 2014-05. This is a request of Southern Star Central Pipeline, Inc. for a Conditional Use Permit for property located at 1500 Road J, as authorized by Section 5-301.s of the Emporia-Lyon County Metropolitan Planning Area Zoning Regulations to allow a natural gas metering station in an Agricultural District.
Motion: To pass Resolution #7-14 – A Resolution issuing a conditional use permit for a certain described area in the Emporia – Lyon County metropolitan planning area of Lyon County, Kansas.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran and Dan Williams to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:33 a.m. (with information and direction)
Public Comment: No one present. At this time the Lyon County Commissioners express their condolences on the passing of former Lyon County Commissioner, Virgil Morris.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran and Dan Williams to return at 10:17 a.m.
At 10:17 a.m. Commissioner Martin states that the Legal Executive Session will continue until 10:45 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:42 a.m. (with information and direction)
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:43 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on May 14, 2014 and the next Action Session on May 15, 2014.
Joe Torres Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Deputy Clerk Lyon County Commission