LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MAY 1, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Sam Seeley, Zoning
Jack Havenhill, Health Dept. member Phillip Davis, Health Department
Ann Mayo, Environmental Health Chuck Samples, KVOE Reporter
Mark McKenna, Facilities Tobey Kelly, Security
John Koelsch, Sheriff’s Office Brian Anstey, Sheriff’s Office
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consultants Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager
Laurie Redeker, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-2-2014 in the amount of $103,064.91.
Personnel Changes: no action taken on personnel changes.
Permits: no applications submitted.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 4-24-2014 meeting. Martin/Briggs 3-0
- No report.
- No report.
- I attended the Council on Aging meeting on Monday.
- The month of May is designated as Older Kansans Month, several activities planned.
- I will attend the Kansas Association of Counties meeting next Wednesday in Manhattan.
- Unable to attend Lyon County Extension Board meeting on Wednesday.
- JEDAC meeting in next Tuesday, I plan to attend.
- Ron Whitney sent information for services on Memorial Day.
- Next week we will not hold a Study Session due to meetings in Manhattan.
- Commissioners noted the month of June will be for appropriation requests.
- I will be absent the first week of July.
- I will attend the Kansas County Clerks and Election Officers Conference in Wichita from Tuesday through Friday. Deputy Linebarger and Deputy Dill will attend the required 1 day HAVA training from the Secretary of State’s Office on Thursday also. Joe Torres will assist in recording the minutes of the meeting next week.
- I have been working with insurance representative’s quotes for county health and dental insurance.
- I met with Library Board members on Tuesday to assist with budget planning.
- Sales tax numbers for April are very strong.
- Jury trial may conclude today.
- 11:30 a.m. tomorrow is Law Day in the jury assembly room.
- JEDAC is Tuesday.
- RDA meets on Friday.
- I attended 4-H shooting sports, nearly 80 children were participating. This is a fantastic event for the children, which is partly funded by donations from the County Attorney’s Office.
Sam Seeley presented Commissioners with the bid proposal for Ground Maintenance Services at the Bowyer Community Building.
Motion: To Accept the Grounds Maintenance Proposal from Scheller’s Inc., as presented, in the amount of $13,126.00 to be paid from Fund 010-46-7600, for lawn and landscaping maintenance at the Bowyer Community Building.
Note: This was the only bid received during the bid process.
Phillip Davis discussed the quarterly report of the health department. He also asked Commissioners to consider the KDHE Outreach, Prevention and Early Intervention Services Amendment. No additional county funds are being requested, this is a renewal.
Motion: To Authorize Chairman to sign the Amendment between the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Division of Health Care Finance and the Lyon County Board of Commissioners and the Lyon County Health Department for the Outreach, Prevention and Early Intervention Services, and also sign the Certification Letter.
Phillip Davis and Ann Mayo reported the planned retirement party for Ann Mayo who is retiring May 31st. Ann expressed her appreciation for her position at Lyon County. Quarterly reports followed. Commissioners thanked Ann for her service. Phillip informed Commissioners that Newman Regional Health reported that due to reduction in staff, they will not partner with the Health Department at the flu clinic.
Mark McKenna presented Commissioners with a request to purchase security cameras from Valu Net and Tobey Kelly described the condition of the existing equipment which was installed during the construction of the courthouse which is now over 13 years old. Mark also reported on damages from a lightening strike at the jail during the last storm.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of fourteen (14) Panasonic WV-CS584 Security Cameras for $1,349.95 each, for a total of $18,899.30 from Valu Net, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9021.
John Koelsch and Brian Anstey asked Commissioners to consider replacing an electronic camera hard drive for the Detention Center, this equipment which is now 11 years, old failed last week.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Valu Net for a Panasonic 316A DVR SATA Upgrade Bay, Hard Drive, Firmware Software V3.45 plus labor for equipment replacement in the Jail, in the amount of $1,998.00 each, for a total of $5,994.00, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9018.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Bruce Boettcher, Mike Halleran, Sam Seeley and Dan Williams, to return at 10:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m. with information and direction.
Rick Frevert asked Commissioners to consider signing an application to apply for funds from KDEM. Funds will be used to replace emergency management equipment.
Motion: To Authorize Commission Chairman to sign the Application for the 2014 Emergency Management Performance Grant Funds.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran, Laurie Redeker and Dan Williams, to return at 10:40 a.m
Meeting reconvened at 10:40 a.m.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda, to allow considering a change to the Employee Handbook Policy.
Motion: To Approve revisions to the Lyon County Employee Handbook Policy as presented.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners and Michael Halleran, to return at 11:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:03 a.m. with direction.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Laurie Redeker, to return at 11:30 a.m. Laurie Redeker will leave the meeting at 11:10 and Sam Seeley will join the session at that time.
Meeting reconvened at 11:33 a.m. with information and direction.
Reminder: Commission will not hold a Study Session next Wednesday.
Motion: To Adjourn at 11:35 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on May 7, 2014 and the next Action Session on May 8, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission