LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
APRIL 17, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Marc Goodman, County Counselor
Scott Briggs, Vice Chairman Lannette S. Linebarger, Deputy Co. Clerk
Dan Slater, Commissioner Dan Williams, Controller
Others attending part of the meeting were:
Chip Woods, County Engineer Jim Brull, Ass’t Co Engineer
Laurie Redeker, HR Director Ruth Wheeler, Court Administrator
Wayne Theel, Resident David Faulkner, Resident
Mike Halleran, Ass’t Co Counselor
Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: to approve the Agenda as presented. Martin (Briggs) 3-0
Motion: to approve Warrants Payable 04/18/2014 in the amount of $94,670.79.
Slater (Briggs) 3-0
Motion: to approve Minutes of the 04/10/2014 meeting as corrected.
Briggs (Slater) 3-0
Commissioner Slater reported:
• Met with Kent Heerman Economic Development last Thursday after the Commission meeting.
• Tuesday, ECKAN meeting in Ottawa on review.
• Last night, attended Mental Health meeting.
Vice Chairman Briggs reported:
• Last Friday, attended the RDA meeting.
• Tuesday night, attended the Flint Hills Frontier Breakout Meeting.
• Attended the Mental Health Meeting, last night.
• Tomorrow will attend the Flint Hills Economic District Meeting in Chapman, KS.
Chairman Martin reported.
• Also, met with Kent Heerman on the Economic Development update.
• Meeting with the Fairgrounds Improvement Committee, in the process of setting up the 501C 3.
• I have asked Joe Norton to explain the County’s role in Economic Development.
• Next Wednesday, April 23, 2014 we will have a Study Session and an Action Session on Thursday, April 24, 2014.
Deputy Clerk Linebarger reported:
• Clerk Vopat is attending the Sanborn Institute for County Clerks in Wichita this week.
Controller Williams reported:
• Talked to Mark McAnarny and Jim Witt about setting up a meeting concerning Library Funding.
• Working on the Health renewal.
County Counselor Goodman reported:
• Attended the RDA meeting on Friday.
Ass’t County Engineer Brull discussed a request to apply dust control to Windsor Circle just off of Graphic Arts Road. He also presented the Commission with a draft of a Lyon County Road Dust Reduction Policy.
Directions were given to Mr. Brull by the Commission to proceed with a Trial Period of arranging to apply the dust reduction agent to Windsor Circle. Residents will receive a direct bill of actual costs.
Engineer Woods gave the Comparison of 2013 and 2014 Expenses.
Court Administrator Wheeler discussed the 2014 Court Affiliates’ Conference presented by the Center for Legal and Court Technology in Williamsburg, VA on May 15-16, 2014.
Directions were given to Mrs. Wheeler to proceed and have 3 or 4 persons in attendance, herself included.
Motion: to approve cancelling Check #176827 dated 2/28/14 to Waters, Inc. in the amount of $12.45. The Check was lost and is still outstanding with the bank.
Slater (Briggs) 3-0
Motion: to incorporate changes to the Employee Handbook as presented.
Slater (Martin) 3-0
This will be the first time that the changes will be sent to the Department Heads electronically. The Department Heads will be responsible to send changes to their employees.
Public Comment – no one present to comment.
Motion: to move to Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman, Ass’t Counselor Halleran and Controller Williams, to return at 10:15 a.m.
Martin (Briggs) 3-0
The meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m. with request for an extension until 10:45 a.m.
Martin (Briggs) 3-0
The meeting reconvened at 10:48 a.m. with information and directions given.
Motion: there being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at10:50 a.m.
Martin (Slater) 3-0
The Board will meet at the next Study Session on April 23, 2014 and the Action Session April 24, 2014.
Lannette S. Linebarger Rollie Martin, Chairman
Deputy Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission