LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
APRIL 3, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Chip Woods, County Engineer Chuck Samples, KVOE Reporter
Kent Heerman, RDA Chelsie Glover, KVOE Assistant
Rob Gilligan, City Commissioner Steve Brosemer, Emporia Enterprise
Bill Barnes, Emporia Enterprise
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 4-4-2014 in the amount of $90,974.51.
Personnel Changes: no action taken.
Permits: no permits submitted.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 3-27-2014 meeting.
• The luncheon at Newman Regional Hospital cancelled.
• Next week is the Community Corrections Advisory board meeting.
• I attended a public square meeting in Reading.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting.
• I also attended the Lyon County Extension board meeting.
• Commissioners need to finalize the agenda for Joint City/County luncheon.
• Newman Hospital is asking to schedule semi annual meetings with Commissioners.
• Kansas County Commissioners Conference will take place in Manhattan next month.
• I attended the Local Emergency Planning Committee meeting on Tuesday.
• Insurance representatives are working together on benefits.
New phones have been installed as planned.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting.
• I expressed the fact that County Attorneys’ Office was not pleased that sex assault nurses are no longer on call and are part of reductions at Newman Regional Health.
• I am investigating the questions on a benefit district.
• I will attend the Community Corrections Advisory Board meeting next week also.
Chip Woods presented to Commissioners for consideration, a quote from Alfred Benesch & Company for the Fracture Critical Bridge Inspections. Assistant Counselor, Michael Halleran noted no objection to the contract. Commissioner Martin noted this is a state mandated process.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Alfred Benesch & Company for the 2014 Fracture Critical Bridge Inspections in the estimated cost of $43,665.50, to be paid from the Special Bridge Fund 033-00-7601.
Motion: To Approve additional payment of $108.31 to Valu Net for phone and labor costs, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9001.
Note: This additional payment is for costs that exceeded the not to exceed amount approved on January 9, 2014.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran and Dan Williams to return at 9:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:15 a.m. with information.
Public Comment: no one present.
RDA & Emporia Enterprise Representatives, Bill Barnes, Steve Brosemer and Kent Heerman discussed a joint effort with the city and county to move forward on a project to promote industry. They requested an executive session with Commissioners to discuss a confidential issue.
Motion: To move to Legal Attorney Client Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran, Representatives of both RDA and Emporia Enterprises Bill Barnes, Steve Brosemer, Kent Heerman and Rob Gilligan, to return at 10:10.
Meeting reconvened at 10:12 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Jeff Cope, to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 with a request to extend the session, to return at 10:40 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:43 a.m. with directions given.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Dan Williams, to return at 10:55 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:55 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on April 9, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. and the next Action Session on April 10, 2014 at 8:00 a.m.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission