LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MARCH 20, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager
Chip Woods, County Engineer Fred Kurzen, Road & Bridge
Dick Ross, Road & Bridge Chuck Samples, KVOE Reporter
Sam Seeley, Zoning
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 3-21-2014 in the amount of $187,630.60.
Personnel Changes: no action taken. Commission expressed their appreciation to Mark Bolen for his service to the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office.
Permits: no applications submitted.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 3-13-2014 meeting. Martin/Briggs 3-0
• ECKAN meeting was Tuesday, reorganization and grants were the focus of the meeting.
• Health Department meeting is next Tuesday.
• I attended the funeral of Kay Calvert.
• Attended the RDA meeting on Friday.
• Tomorrow I will attend the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting in Alta Vista.
• I attended Kay Calvert’s funeral also.
• Thank you to Mark Bolen for his service to the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office.
• Monday I will participate in and ESU telethon for new students.
• Our sincere sympathy to the family of Kay Calvert.
• Monday I will attend the Council on Aging meeting.
• April 2nd is the meeting with Newman Regional Health; April 9th is the City/County luncheon; April 16th is the Mental Health Annual meeting.
• Marc Goodman will give Commissioners direction next week in response to a letter from the Department of Interior related to a Memorandum of Understanding.
• I attended the Northeast Kansas County Officials meeting in Lawrence on Friday. The focus of the meeting was legislative issues.
• My sympathy for the Kay Calvert family, she will be missed.
• Sales tax numbers were up from last year at the same time.
• Working on benefit renewal bids.
• Attended the RDA meeting on Friday.
Chip Woods presented Commissioners with several items to consider. They discussed quotes for graders and a skid steer and sending out requests for sign equipment. Chip discussed the Federal Funds Exchange, the expense comparison report, rock distribution and the Natural Resources Advisory Board meeting.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Foley Equipment for the purchase of three (3) used Caterpillar 12 H Motor Graders to replace two (2) Volvo Graders and one (1) John Deere Grader for a total amount of $263,472.00, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9019.
Motion: To Approve the quotes from Bobcat for a S360 Skid-Steer to replace our 2001 Gehl Skid-Steer for $31,061.00, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9019.
Motion: To Approve sending out requests for Complete Signs, Electro-cut Film and High Intensity/Pressure Sensitive Sheeting, according to the County Engineer’s specifications.
Motion: To Approve County Engineer, Chip Woods to Apply for Federal Funds Exchange to replace FAS Bridge 350 over the Neosho River west of Neosho Rapids.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Dan Williams, to return at 9:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:00 a.m.
Commissioners commented on the long term structure for emergency services, providing safer, more effective services for the community. They also commented on the shared costs with the City of Emporia and Lyon County. They expressed their appreciation for all those involved with bringing this project together.
Motion: To Approve the Lyon County and Emporia 911 Consolidation Inter-local Agreement.
Motion: To Approve the 2013 Ivy Township Annual Report.
Sam Seeley asked Commission to consider sending out requests for proposals for landscaping and lawn care at the Lyon County fairgrounds.
Motion: To Approve Request for Proposals for Grounds Maintenance on the Lyon County Fairgrounds.
Public Comment: Rick Frevert updated the Commission on several items. Emergency personnel will participate in a 4 hour table top emergency management exercise next week in Topeka. There are several counties implementing burn bans, Rick did not request a burn ban at this time but talked about responsibilities, response times and fees related to out of control burns. He also discussed a three phase generator that is being offered for sale to the county for $15,000.00, new cost is approximately 27,000.00. While this is a good opportunity, a trailer would be needed for transport which will be added cost.
Motion: To move to Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Sam Seeley to return at 10:20 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 10:45 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:45 a.m.
There will be no Study Session next week.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on March 27, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission