LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
FEBRUARY 13, 2014
The Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 p.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Jim Hanni, AAA Kansas
Jim Brull, Road & Bridge Chip Woods, County Engineer
Brian Austin, PE. Bartlett & West Inc. John Koelsch, Sheriff’s Office
David Gurst, KDOT Phillip Davis, Health Department
Jack Havenhill, resident Jason Johnston, Gazette Reporter
Jeff Cope, Sheriff
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 2-6-2014 meeting. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 2-14-2014 in the amount of $114,628.67.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 2-14-2014 in the amount of $232,004.09.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 2-14-2014 in the amount of $177,385.42.
Personnel Changes: no action at this time.
Permits: no permits submitted.
• I attended the Fair Board meeting on Monday evening.
• I attended the Historical Society meeting on Tuesday.
• RDA meeting is tomorrow.
• Feb. 19th is the Flint Hills Council leaders meeting in Rock Springs.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting last Tuesday.
• There is a Fair Grounds Improvement Committee meeting at the annex this evening focusing on fund raising.
• Dialogue with County Commissioners is scheduled for March 8th, hosted by the Emporia Area Chamber of Commerce.
• There will be an educational meeting on property valuation focusing on agriculture land use coming up, I plan to attend.
• ECKAN meeting next Tuesday will be via teleconference.
• There are federal grants for rural internet service. Valu Net asking for a letter of support.
• Community Corrections questions resolved via text messaging.
• I took the voting machines to Emporia Senior High School on Tuesday. The League of Women Voters and I helped the students vote on the Winter Sport Candidates. It’s a great learning experience for the students.
• We finished up the financial audit and I’m now working on the work comp audit. Thank you to Department Heads for their cooperation.
• Insurance representatives will be here to discuss our insurance options.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting.
• I argued a case before the Court of Appeals this last Tuesday.
• I attended a legislative dinner with Kansas County and District Attorneys’ last evening.
• Robert Novak’s last day with the County is tomorrow. His replacement starts a week from Monday.
• RDA meeting is tomorrow.
Chip Woods discussed the purchase of an asphalt paver attachment for Road & Bridge and the Recycle Trailer Tally for December 2013. The county share is 10%, KDOT funds the remaining amount.
Motion: To Approve signing the Award Contract Commitment of County Funds for the Safety Edge attachment for our asphalt paver in the amount of $286.28 to be paid from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-9001.
Commissioners expressed their appreciation of the job performance of the Road & Bridge snow removal crew.
Brian Austin, PE. Bartlett & West, Inc. discussed the Project Scope, Public Involvement Plan, and Schedule for US-50 Access Management Plan between Road F and Road G. There will be an open house to allow the community to be informed and listen to concerns.
Phillip Davis, Flint Hills Community Health Center presented Commissioners with the 2013 Quarterly Report. Phillip talked about each section of the report with the Commission.
John Koelsch, Sheriff’s Office asked Commission to consider signing the Wyandotte County Housing Inmate Contract.
Motion: To Approve signing the Wyandotte County Housing Inmate Contract.
Note: Marc Goodman noted the contract is approved as to form and content.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to consider other business.
Motion: To Approve the 2013 Annual Report of the Fremont Township.
Dan Williams discussed the advantages of replacing the microwave dish at the Extension Office.
Motion: To Approve Valu Net replacing the microwave dish at the Extension Office in the amount of $1,000.00 to be paid from Fund 010-51-7649.
Motion: To Appoint Francis Springeman to the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission for a term to expire 12-31-16.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To Appoint Dale Putman to the Fair Board for a term to expire 12-31-15, to appoint Auddie Ruthardt to the Fair Board for a term to expire 12-31-1, Tony Redeker to the Fair Board for a term to expire 12-31-15 and Jeremiah Corpening to the Fair Board for a term to expire 12-31-15 .
Motion: To Authorize Commission Chairman to sign the extension Letter of Understanding with Coffey County.
Jim Hanni of AAA Kansas presented the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office with the first time Platinum Safety Award. This is the highest level of achievement.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Tammy Vopat and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened with information
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:32 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 10:50 a.m. Meeting reconvened at 10:52 a.m. with information.
Commission will not meet for a Study Session on Wednesday, February 19th.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:58 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on February 20, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission