LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JANUARY 16, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter Tobey Kelly, Security Supervisor
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Vicki Lopez, Register of Deeds
Chuck Samples, KVOE
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Slater/Briggs 3-0
a. Minutes of the 1-9-2014 meeting.
b. Warrants Payable 1-17-2014 in the amount of $217,316.33.
c. Payroll Payable 1-17-2014 in the amount of $220,817.63.
d. Payroll Withholdings Payable 1-17-2014 in the amount of $291,795.63.
e. Approve Chip Woods and Jim Brull attending the Northeast Chapter of the K.S.L.S. Seminar on March 7, 2014 and pay the $180.00 combined registration and related travel expenses from Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-7420.
f. Warrant Payable 1-3-2014 in the amount of $1,095.39.
g. Approve the Annual Report of the Agnes City Township.
h. Approve the Annual Report of the Jackson Township.
• I was unable to attend the legislative discussion last Thursday.
• Commissioner Martin noted that Tobey Kelly, Security Supervisor is appointed as a source of information for prices and availability for the purchase of new or used vehicles for the county.
• I attended the legislative discussion
• Attended the RDA Orientation for new board members.
• Attended RDA meeting on Friday.
• Saturday I attended the Reading, Ks public square meeting.
• The Fair Board Annual meeting is this Saturday, I plan to attend.
• I attended the legislative discussion last Thursday.
• I also plan to attend the Fair Board Annual meeting.
• ECKAN meeting is next Tuesday.
• Soil Conservation meeting is coming up in two weeks.
• Two new doctors have been hired by Newman Regional Hospital.
• Next Wednesday is the Road Viewing and on Thursday the Public Hearing on the Road Vacation Petition.
• I attended the RDA meeting Friday.
• W-2’s have been printed and will be distributed this week.
• Auditors will start the audit process the first week of February.
• I will meet with insurance representatives to look at wellness programs.
• I completed the 2013 Motor Vehicle Abstract and submitted it to the state.
• Our election staff was trained on the new electronic poll books this week.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 02-14, a Resolution of the Board of Lyon County Commissioners urging the Kansas Legislature and Governor Sam Brownback to retain the mortgage registration fee, as provided in K.S.A. 79-3102, and reject any or all legislative proposals abolishing such fee.
Michael Halleran and Dan Williams discussed the proposed resolution to establish a 911 Board and an Emergency Communications Center. This is the first step in the process and a Memorandum of Agreement with the City of Emporia will be initiated. Commission Briggs noted this is not a board with taxing authority. The Commission will be responsible reviewing reports of the board, for guidance of personnel and funding of the department. Commissioner Slater commented on the responsibility to the community.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 03-14, a Resolution of the Board of County Commissioners of Lyon County, Kansas providing for the establishment of the Lyon County 911 Board: prescribing the number, qualifications and manner of appointment of its members, its powers and duties: providing for the sharing of the expense of its operations: and providing for the establishment of a Lyon County Emergency Communications Center.
Motion: To Appoint Larry Rust, Dan Hamman, Eddie Woods, Larry Fowler, Travis Heins, Harry Groh, Gregg Gasche, Dale Hodges and Fred Kurzen to the Lyon County Fair Board for a term to expire 12-31-16.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman and Michael Halleran to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:34 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:05 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners to return at 10:25 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:28 a.m.
Next week the Commission Study and Action Sessions will convene at 9:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:28 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on January 22, 2014 and the next Action Session on January 23, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission