LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JANUARY 9, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Sam Seeley, Zoning
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Briggs/Martin 3-0
a. Warrants Payable 1-10-2014 in the amount of $98,947.98.
b. Minutes of the 1-2-2014 meeting.
c. Approve the Lyon County Election Officer to sign the Dominion Voting
Software License Agreement and pay the annual license fee for 2014 in the
amount of $4,600.00, to be paid from Fund 010-21-7600.
d. Approve the Lyon County Election Officer to sign the Election Systems
and Software, LLC post warranty Software License and Support Services
Agreement in the amount of $1,600.00, to be paid from Fund 010-21-7600.
e. Approve the Pike Township Annual Report.
Motion: To Approve Personnel Changes as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
• I attended the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• I attended the Joint City/County Luncheon yesterday. Thank you to Jeff Cope, Doug Stueve and Dan Williams for their input.
• I attended the Lyon County Extension Board meeting last evening. Richard Porter was presented the Appreciation Award from the Lyon County Extension Board.
• Commission received a letter from KAC asking for our support in adopting a Resolution in opposition of the elimination of the collection of mortgage fees paid to the Register of Deeds. We will discuss this next week.
• I plan to attend the Legislative Talk with our representatives this evening.
• I will attend a special meeting for orientation of members to the RDA Board at noon.
• I will attend the regular RDA meeting on Friday morning.
• I plan to attend the legislative session this evening.
• Emporia Christian School cancelled their “Elected Officials Day”.
• Meeting with the city was very good yesterday.
• I will attend the legislative session this evening.
• We will start the training process next week on the electronic poll books.
• I recorded the minutes of the Joint City/County Luncheon yesterday.
• Working on the Workers Compensation audit.
• We plan to have W-2’s mail out this week.
• Auditors will be here next week to visit with Department Heads.
• I have been working with Ed Rathke at the city on the phone system and internet with Valu-Net.
• I attended luncheon with the city/county yesterday.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting.
• I will attend the RDA meeting tomorrow.
• I participated in a phone conference with the County District Attorney’s Association Board.
Sam Seeley discussed the need to purchase a vehicle for the zoning department.
Motion: To Approve the Zoning Department to purchase a vehicle in an amount not to exceed $15,000.00, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9047.
Dan Williams discussed the process of staging the updating of the phone system.
Motion: To Approve Valu Net to install a new 16 port ELCN Digital Station card in the NEC SV8500 telephone system to support the new NEC telephones, 16 phones and labor, in an amount not to exceed $10,000.00, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9001
Motion: To Approve canceling check #175826 dated 12-20-2013 to Kansas Pay Center in the amount of $1,095.39. Check was lost and still outstanding with the bank.
Motion: To Appoint Gary Murphy and Tony Haag to Recreation District #1 for a term to expire 12-31-2016.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Rick Frevert, Michael Halleran, Marc Goodman and Dan Williams, to return at 9:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:00 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 9:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:20 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to NEP with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, to return at 9:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:40 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Michael Halleran, to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:38 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on January 15, 2014 and the next Action Session on January 16, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission