LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
DECEMBER 26, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Mike Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter
Chip Woods, County Engineer Sam Seeley, Zoning
Ruth Wheeler, District Court Tom Thomas, resident
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 12-18-2013 meeting.
• Talked with KVOE regarding the Health Department cuts.
• Appointment letters have been signed by the Commission.
• Bob Wright has been hired as the new CEO of Newman Regional Health. Commissioners were involved in the interview process and welcome Mr. Wright.
• Last Thursday I participated in the ECKAN meeting via teleconference.
• I received a petition for a Road Vacation from Jerald Rowland asking to vacate part of “T” north of Road 290 to Road 300. I am asking the Commission to schedule a Road Viewing for 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, January 22nd and the Road Hearing at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 23rd.
• I sent a press release to the media to announce the Courthouse closing to the public for the end of the year process on December 31st and closed for New Year’s Day Holiday.
• Received the sales tax numbers which looked very good. Highest numbers for December in the past several years.
• Time Clock Plus issues on training from both departments. The software is working correctly, but training issues remain to be solved.
• Hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year.
Chip Woods discussed the purchase of a printer/scanner, also the low bid for steel and the crushed rock distribution.
Motion: To Approve the low bid for a KIP 7170 Printer/Scanner from Drexel Technologies in the amount of $14,850.00, to be paid from Special Bridge Fund 033-00-9001.
Motion: To Approve the low tied bid for Structural Steel & H-Piling from Husker Steel in the amount of $77,630.00, to be paid from Special Bridge Fund 033-00-8350.
Discussion followed regarding the courthouse closing 1 hour early on Christmas Eve.
Sam Seeley discussed the zoning application for an Ag Special Use, manufactured home from Roger & Sandra Brummett. Sam informed the Commission of the Zoning Board agreed with approving the application.
Motion: To Approve Zoning Application #2013022, a request for rezoning of a property at 1919 Road R to allow for Ag Special Use “Accessory Manufactured Home” by Roger and/or Sandra Brummett.
Discussion: Commissioner Briggs noted all zoning requirements have been met and the Zoning Board was in agreement.
Ruth Wheeler presented a request for the purchase of equipment for District Court, requesting to purchase a poly-com for video conferencing in the court rooms.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of a poly-com teleconferencing mobile unit and related equipment for District Court in an amount not to exceed $15,000.00 to be paid from 010-07-901.
Counselor Goodman noted the equipment in the courtrooms are outdated and often do not operate properly.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 12-27-2013 in the amount of $85,206.41.
Motion: To Approve Resolution 17-13, a Resolution granting a Special Use in a certain area in Lyon County from Agriculture to Agriculture Special Use “Accessory Manufactured Home” and amending the County Zoning map as adopted by Resolution 9-03, as amended, of Lyon County, Kansas, to conform with, said Special Use.
Motion: To Appoint Tom Thompson to the Newman Regional Hospital Board of Trustees for a term to expire 12-31-2017.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran and Dan Williams for 15 minutes then dismissing Dan Williams and changing the Session to Attorney/Client Session to follow for 30 minutes, to return at 10:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:33 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners to return at 10:50 a.m.
Dan Williams noted the Commission needs to encumber $37,500.00 per agreement with the City of Emporia for the purchase of an ambulance from Fund 010-27-9001.
Commission noted there will be no Study Session next week.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:55 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, then next Action Session will take place on January 2, 2014. There will be no Study Session.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission