LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
DECEMBER 12, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance.
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Mike Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter
Chip Woods, County Engineer Ruth Wheeler, District Court
Jason Birk, Fair Board Chris Phillips, Fair Board
Mark McKenna, Facilities Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 12-5-2013 meeting. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 12-13-2013 in the amount of $105,606.59.
• Last Thursday I attended the Commission on Emergency Planning and Response meeting in Topeka.
• Attended the RDA board meeting on Monday morning.
• Participated in the interview with CEO candidate for the Newman Regional Hospital CEO.
• I attended and helped with the Red Stocking Breakfast for the Kansas Children’s Service League.
• Tuesday I attended the ESU Summit for the Development of Emporia in Kansas City on Tuesday.
• Next Monday is the Council on Aging meeting at the Annex.
• Bill Clark will be here next week with a presentation on the Flint Hills Regional Council.
• ext Wednesday the Fairground Improvement Committee will meet.
• Received 2 applications for positions on the Newman Regional Hospital board.
• I participated in the interview process for the CEO candidate for Newman Regional Hospital.
• I also helped with the Red Stocking Breakfast.
• Next Tuesday there will be an interview with a Newman Regional Hospital CEO candidate.
• ECKAN will attempt a teleconference instead of members driving for the next meeting.
• Continuing with our work on the election room at the Annex.
• Met with Jim Witt, Assistant Interim City Manager, looking forward to working together.
• Working on year end processes coming up.
• Monday I attended the RDA meeting.
• Saturday I have a KCDAA (Kansas County & District Attorney Association) board meeting in Wichita.
Chip Woods presented the commission with a bid for grader blades.
Motion: To Approve the low bid from Welborn Sales, Inc., for 350 Single Bevel Grader Blades in the amount of $33,162.50 to be paid from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-8432.
Chip informed commission of the increasing steel prices and would like to send it out for bid.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to consider sending out for bid on structural steel pilings for the Road & Bridge Department.
Motion: To Approve Road & Bridge sending out for bid on structural steel piling.
Ruth Wheeler discussed a capital outlay request for the purchase of equipment.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of computer equipment and related programs in the amount of $11,984.22 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9009. These are replacement computers for the District Court Office.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of 2 copiers for District Court in an amount not to exceed $5,800.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9009.
Chris Phillips and Jason Birk discussed the Lyon County Fairgrounds Improvement Fund Committee discovered a need for a clarification related to the board member advisees. Mike Halleran asked Chris for a sample document needed.
Commissioner Briggs discussed the new roof being considered for improvements on the fairgrounds.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran and Dan Williams, to return at 9:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:37 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mark McKenna and Dan Williams to return at 10:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran and Dan Williams, to return at 10:40 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:40 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran, Dan Williams and Sam Seeley, to return at 11:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:11 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Sam Seeley, to return at 11:20 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:23 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 11:23 a.m. Slater/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on December 18, 2013 and the next Action Session on December 19, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission