LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
NOVEMBER 21, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance.
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Chip Woods, County Engineer Jim Brull, Road & Bridge
Ben Fitch, Gazette Reporter Jeff Cope, Sheriff
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager Mike Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 11-14-2013 meeting. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 11-22-2013 in the amount of $175,083.03.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 11-22-2013 in the amount of $218,475.47.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 11-22-2013 in the amount of $291,796.03.
• I attended the Regional Economic Development Retreat.
• Received notification that the William Allen White House will be listed on the National Register.
• I received a letter of invitation from Ben Bennett, for Lyon County to join the Flint Hills Regional Council.
• Next Monday is the Council on Aging meeting, I will try to attend.
• Fairground Improvement Committee meeting met last evening, report to follow.
• Saturday I attended the North Lyon County Library meeting in Allen.
• I sent a press release to the media to notify the public the courthouse will be closed on Thursday and Friday next week.
• I sold election signage no longer used to other clerks across the state. I will deposit $1,160.00 back in to the general fund when the transactions are made.
• Sales tax numbers are in for November, just less than October but an increase over last year’s numbers.
• I attended a National District Attorney’s Conference in Georgia last week.
Chip Woods and Jim Brull discussed the Supplemental Agreement, the cover material bids and attending the Certified Public Manager training course.
Motion: To Approve signing the Supplemental Agreement No. 1 for the Federal Funds Exchange for Federal Fiscal Years 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Motion: To Approve sending out requests for bids for CM-K Cover Material for the Lyon County Road & Bridge 2014 Sealing Project.
Motion: To Approve Jim Brull attending the Certified Public Manager course and pay the $2,900.00 registration and related travel expenses from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-7420.
Chip discussed the comparison of 2012 and 2013 expenses for the Road & Bridge
Department. Chip also mentioned a bay door in the service area that needed repaired. Also the bid from Norfolk Iron & Metal awarded last week was valid for only 48 hours, which was not noted on their bid. Need direction from the commission and counsel on how to proceed. Counselor Goodman noted, after discussion and research, best practice is to re-let the project but due to the circumstances of bidders being notified of the bid results, Commission may accept the low bid from Husker Steel as a result of Norfolk Iron & Metal altering the terms of the bid process.
Motion: To Accept the low bid from Husker Steel for 100 pieces of 10” Steel “H” in the amount of $52,635.00 to be paid from the Special Bridge Fund 033-00-8350.
Sheriff Cope discussed the request to purchase new tasers for the Sheriff’s Department.
Motion: To Approve the Sheriff’s Office purchase of 20 tasers from TASER International Inc., in the amount of $24,146.00 to be paid from Fund 17-00-9013.
Slater abstained from the vote due to a personal relationship with a Sheriff’s Office employee.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran, Jeff Cope and Dan Williams, to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:30 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 9:45 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:48 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Mike Halleran, Jeff Cope and Dan Williams, to return at 10:05 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:08 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike Halleran to return at 10:25 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:27 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:30 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on Wednesday, November 27, 2013. There will be no Study Session.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission