LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
NOVEMBER 7, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Mike Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Brandy Nance, Gazette Reporter
Kay Calvert, LWV Chip Woods, County Engineer
Jim Brull, Road & Bridge
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 10-31-2013 meeting. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 11-8-2013 in the amount of $716,756.16.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 11-8-2013 in the amount of $220,660.39.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 11-8-2013 in the amount of $163,288.23
• The RDA meeting is tomorrow.
• Last Thursday I participated in a panel discussion for Leadership Emporia.
• I attended the Lyon County Extension Board meeting last evening.
• I was unable to attend the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• Received a letter from the Council on Ageing in appreciation for the work performed by the I.T. Department.
• We are in the process of preparing a letter of support for the transportation grant.
• Reminder of the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting next Friday.
• I will be attending the USD #252 meeting on November 13th.
• I will attend the USD #252 meeting next week.
• I will also attend the library district meeting and the upcoming ECKAN meeting.
• Sharon Watson from the Kansas Adjutant General’s Department asked Lyon County to host the Kansas Public Information Officer’s Association meeting today. There will be approximately 40 Public Information Officers from the surrounding area attending today. Commissioners are invited to stop in and welcome our guests.
• October reports show the Fairground budget is over budget and Noxious Weed is at 97% of their budget.
• Discussed carry-over on insurance.
• Time Clock Plus is set to be on line December 1st and training is in progress.
• Mike Halleran will be attending commission meeting in my absence next week.
• I attended the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• I will attend the RDA meeting tomorrow.
• I activated the process to hire two part time county attorney officers.
Commissioner Briggs discussed a letter received from the Office of Judicial Administration regarding the payment processing of the magistrate judge supplemental compensation. He also discussed insurance options for employees.
Chip Woods & Jim Brull discussed the field entrance application for Bill Leffler and the 2013 timber culvert inspection report, along with the recycle trailer tally for October. Commissioner’s commented on the extensive work done by Jim Brull and the cost savings to the county in performing the timber culvert inspections in house.
Motion: To Approve the mound field entrance for Bill Leffler on paved Road 120.
Motion: To Amend the August 29, 2013 Motion not to exceed amount of $2,000.00 to $2,187.16 from Facilities’ Jeremiah Linden on his trip to Pennsylvania to attend the 2013 HIP-K Boiler Training Class on September 19-20, 2013.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda to consider submitting a Letter of Support for Mental Health for their Transportation Grant. Slater/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve Commission submitting a Letter of Support for Mental Health for the Transportation Grant for the State of Kansas.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike Halleran, to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:30 a.m. with information.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Mike Halleran, to return at 10:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:27 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:30. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on November 13, 2013 and the next Action Session on November 14, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission