LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
OCTOBER 31, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor Jim Brull, Road & Bridge
Jeff Cope, Sheriff Marvin Daugherty, resident
Rene Hively, Health Dept. Phillip Davis, Health Dept.
Jack Havenhill, Health Dept. Ben Fitch, Gazette Reporter
Dave Adam and Ben Womelsdorf, Ks Dept. of Wildlife and Parks and Tourism
Doug Stueve, Dept. on Aging Kim Bell, RSVP
Sam Seeley, Zoning
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 10-24-2013 meeting. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 11-1-2013 in the amount of $385,991.35.
Motion: To Approve the Payroll Change Authorization. Briggs/Martin 3-0
• I attended the Kansas Association of Counties Conference in Wichita this week.
• RDA meeting is one week from tomorrow.
• I also attended the Kansas Association of Counties Conference in Wichita this week.
• Received word that James Geitz resigned from the Newman Regional Health Board of Trustees as of 12-31-13. Commission needs to consider a replacement.
• I am unable to attend the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• This afternoon I will serve on a panel for Leadership Emporia.
• Received a letter from Geary County Commissioner, Ben Bennett to inform us of a meeting of the Flint Hills Regional Council on November 15th.
• There are a number of meetings coming up in November.
• The tax roll has been processed, balanced and sent to the Treasurer to print tax bills. Also the state abstracts are balanced, finalized and submitted to the state.
• Election Deputy, Heather Dill and I attended the KAC Conference on Wednesday.
• Sales tax numbers for October are very consistent.
• Talked to Jones Trust representative, we are eligible for grant money for the ADA improvement project for the Anderson Building.
• Time Clock Plus database will be hosted by Lyon County and training on the software will take place next week.
• Reminder that the week after next Mike Halleran will attend the Commission meeting in my absence.
Jim Brull, Road & Bridge discussed the Salina Seminar Series, the crushed rock distribution and the Natural Resources Advisory Board meeting.
Motion: To Approve Chip Woods and Jim Brull attending the Salina Seminar Series in Salina on January 9-11, 2014 and pay the $480.00 combined registration and related travel expenses from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-7420.
Marvin Daugherty addressed the Commission with concerns about noise ordinances in the Miller area. He was inquiring about prohibiting pit bull dog ownership and the safety of his family. Sheriff Cope offered to discuss the issues with Mr. Daugherty.
Sheriff Cope discussed STEP Grant Program and asked Commission to consider signatory authorization.
Motion: To Authorize the Chairman to sign the Kansas Department of Transportation, Highway Safety Project Agreement with a Government Agency, Special Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP) Grant.
Counselor Goodman noted the contract was approved as to form and content.
Phillip Davis & Rene Hively presented the Commission with the Quarterly Report of the Flint Hills Community Health Center/Lyon County Health Department.
Commission expressed their appreciation of the information and stories shared by the Health Department.
Representatives from the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks and Tourism presented Marc Goodman with a Natural Resources Protection Award in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the Protection of Kansas’ Natural Resources.
Motion: To Approve payment to the City of Emporia for floor maintenance of the Transfer Station as per agreement in the amount of $22,180.19 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9049.
Public Comment: Sam gave an update on the progress of the grant for the Anderson Building ADA improvement.
Commission decided there will be no Study Session next week.
Doug Stueve and Kim Bell discussed the advantages of attending the CNCS-RSVP training.
Motion: To Approve Kim Bell and Doug Stueve attending the CNCS-RSVP State Director Training Conference in Kansas City, Missouri on November 7-8, 2013 and pay the related travel expenses from Funds 010-62-7411 and 010-62-7420.
Note: all expenses are reimbursable.
Motion: To move the Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike Halleran, to return at 10:20 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:20 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:22 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned.
The next Action Session will take place on November 7, 2013. No Study Session.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission