LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
OCTOBER 10, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor Kay Calvert, LWV
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as Amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Briggs/Martin 3-0
a. Approve the minutes of the 10-3-2013 meeting.
b. Approve Warrants Payable 10-11-2013 in the amount of $307,891.80
c. Approve Payroll Payable 10-11-2013 in the amount of $223,935.98.
d. Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 10-11-2013 in the amount of
e. Approve Road & Bridge to purchase 18 DoubleCoin 1400R24 motor grader
tires from Express Tire & Auto, L.L. for a total of $17,064.00 to be paid from
f. Approve Facilities signing an Annual Service Agreement with Professional
Fire Alarm Systems from Topeka for the annual tests and inspections of the
fire alarm systems in the amount of $12,570.00 to be paid from funds
010-70-7661-10; 010-70-7661-17 and 010-70-7661-09.
g. Approve Chairman to sign to FY2014 Title II Grant Award packet with the
Kansas Department of Corrections/Juvenile Justice Authority in the amount
• I attended the Joint City/County Luncheon on Wednesday. Thank you to Bill Clark for his presentation on the Flint Hills Regional Council and also Russell Torrens for his work on the Clean Sweep. Also thank you to the county citizens that spoke during the pubic hearing on the ADA Grant for the Anderson Building.
• We received an application for the Zoning/Appeal board position.
• RDA meeting is tomorrow.
• I attended the Joint City/County Luncheon on Wednesday.
• Thank you to the ESU students who attended the study session for their input related to bus ridership. Dr. Shonrock invited the Commission to participate in a legislative bus tour on October 22nd.
• I attended the PBC Annual meeting on Tuesday evening. We have three excellent board members serving on the PBC.
• I attended the Joint City/County meeting yesterday.
• I calculated the final valuation for the county and distributed the values to the adjoining counties with which we have shared districts.
• I recorded the minutes for the PBC Annual meeting on Tuesday evening.
On Wednesday morning the Health Department held a flu clinic for county employees. 69 vaccinations were administered.
• I recorded the minutes of the Lyon County Public Hearing on the ADA Grant for the Anderson Building on the fairgrounds.
• I attended the PBC meeting on Tuesday evening.
• Time clocks have been ordered for the Sheriff’s Office and Road & Bridge.
• I received revised numbers from the city related to the consolidation.
• I attended the Joint City/County luncheon meeting yesterday.
• I attended the PBC annual meeting on Tuesday evening.
• I attended the Flint Hills Technical College Honorary Scholarship Luncheon. The County Attorney’s Office contributed Diversion Funds to the law enforcement dispatch program.
• I attended the Joint City/County luncheon meeting.
• Tomorrow is the RDA meeting.
Motion: To Appoint Steve Samuelson to the Metropolitan Area Planning Appeals Board for a term to expire on 12-31-2014. (Don Anderson deceased)
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the Public Hearing for the ADA CDBG Grant for the Anderson Building on the Lyon County Fairgrounds.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Chuck Boyce to return at 9:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:03 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Mike Halleran, to return at 9:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:35 a.m. with information.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike Halleran, to return at 10:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:15 a.m. with a request to return at 10:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 10:30. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned.
The next study session will take place on October 16, 2013 and the action session on October 17, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission