LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
AUGUST 29, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Kay Calvert, LWV Mike Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Jeff Cope, Sheriff Mark McKenna, Facilities
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the minutes of the 8-22-2013 meeting. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 8-30-2013 in the amount of $268,633.09.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 8-30-2013 in the amount of $237,458.25.
Note: This is the 3rd payroll for the month.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 8-30-2013 in the amount of $147,863.14.
- Sales tax numbers look good.
- Attended part of the Beef Fest activities, great turnout.
- Attended Saturday evening Beef Fest activity.
- Monday I attended the Council on Aging meeting. Ridership numbers may break a monthly record if the pace continues this August.
- I will attend JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
- Commissioners review letters related to Road & Bridge.
- Reminder, next Wednesday is the joint meeting with Newman Regional Health.
- Sales tax numbers are excellent.
- Attended the Health Department’s monthly meeting and discussed the budget.
- Deputy Clerk Linebarger will record the minutes next week.
- Most all of the district budgets have been submitted.
- Thank you to Facilities Manager, Mark McKenna, Jeremia Linden and Darrell Leeds for their work at the Annex.
- Lyon County Treasurer, Dora Hartig submitted her letter of resignation effective 9-27-13.
- Met with KDEM to view damage in the area to determine reimbursement.
- Sales tax numbers look good, ahead of last years numbers.
- I have a conference call today to learn more about the Obama Care changes in insurance.
- I will attend JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
- Noon Tuesday I will participate on a panel presentation at Washburn University Law School.
- RDA meeting is scheduled for September 13th.
Sheriff Cope informed Commission the Sheriff’s Office received an equipment grant from KDOT in the amount of $4,500.00. This is a result of activity in the “Click it or Ticket” program. This is also the largest amount that can be granted.
Motion: To Approve the Sheriff’s Office purchase of two (2) Stalker DSR radars from Fund
17-00-9013, not to exceed $5,000.00. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Sheriff Cope added he has been accepted into the National Sheriff’s Institute for training in Colorado next month. Commissioners congratulated Sheriff Cope for being selected.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike
Halleran, to return at 8:55 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 8:55 a.m. with information.
Mark McKenna discussed the advantages and cost savings from sending staff to training class.
Motion: To Authorize Jeremia Linden, Facilities, to attend the 2013 HIP-K Boiler Training Class in Pennsylvania on September 15- 20, 2013. Registration fees and related travel expenses in an amount not to exceed $2,000.00, to be paid from Fund 010-70-7420.
Motion: To Approve canceling Check #172739 dated 5-10-2013 to First Call Morgue, LLC in the amount of #3,000.00. Check was lost and is still outstanding the bank. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Tammy Vopat, Election Officer discussed the population numbers of each commissioner district with maps and data for Commissioners to review.
Motion: To Approve adjusting Commission Districts by moving Precinct 1 from Commission
District 2 to Commission District 1. Martin/Slater 3-0
Three applications were received for the Newman Regional Board of Trustees position from Matt Zimmerman, Tom Thompson and Michael Shonrock. Commissioners noted their appreciation of three applicants qualified to serve on this board and the positive progression the hospital is achieving.
Motion: To Appoint Dr. Michael D. Shonrock to the Newman Regional Health Board of
Trustees for a term to expire 12-31-2016. Martin/Slater 3-0
This position was vacated by Michael Lane.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners with Marc
Goodman and Sam Seeley, to return at 10:10 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:13 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Dan
Williams to return at 10:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:30 a.m. with request for an extension until 10:45 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:45 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on September 4, 2013 and the next Action Session on September 5, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission