LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JULY 25, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commission Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Alan Twitchell, Gazette reporter Sam Seeley, Zoning/Fairgrounds
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consulting Kelli Brenner, Court Trustee Dept.
Chuck Samples, KVOE
Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Slater/Briggs 3-0
• Approve the Minutes of the 7-18-2013 meeting.
• Approve Warrants Payable 7-26-2013 in the amount of $155,226.25.
• Approve the low bid for Steel U-Channel Sign Posts from National Sign
• Company for $5,855.00 to be paid from the Special Road & Bridge Fund
• Approve the purchase of 180 gallons of Pathway at $27.83/gallon for a total
of $5,009.40 from Red River Specialties, Inc. to be paid from the Road &
Bridge Fund 011-00-8330.
• Approve the Courthouse Security Office to purchase 2 Panasonic Digital
Video Recorders in the amount of $10,311.40 to be paid from Fund 010-70-7655-10.
• I attended the Council on Aging meeting on Monday.
• Mike Lane has resigned from the Newman Regional Hospital Board. We will need to consider applications for his replacement.
• No report.
• I was unable to attend the Health Board meeting.
• Carolyn Brock was here on Monday and Tuesday to assist 25 districts with budget preparation.
• No report.
• Working on budgets and the Americus Rural Water Grant.
Motion: To Approve Chairman signing the Grant Agreement 13-PF-025 for the Rural Water
District #1 in Americus. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Sam Seeley discussed the need for repairs to the Bowyer Community Building. Installation of wainscoating will prevent further damage to interior walls of the building.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Evergreen Design Build for repairs to the Bowyer Community Building in an amount not to exceed $8,300.00 to be paid from
Fund 017-00-9050. Slater/Martin 3-0
Commission discussed the Kansas Association of Counties request of $1000.00. This is to cover the cost for Lyon County’s portion of the County Map in the new Visitors Center, Kansas Statehouse in Topeka, Kansas.
Motion: To Approve payment of $1,000.00 to the Kansas Association of Counties for engraving the Lyon County name in the stone floor map in the new Visitors Center at the
Statehouse to be paid from Fund 010-01-7609. Martin/Slater 3-0
Budget Discussion: Dan Williams presented an adjusted budget as requested by the Commission.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Mike Halleran and
Dan Williams, to return at 10:05 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:05 a.m. with information.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Mike Halleran
Sam Seeley and Dan Williams to return at 10:20 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:22 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on July 31, 2013 and the next Action Session on August 1, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission