LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JULY 3, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Alan Twitchell, Gazette reporter Chip Woods, County Engineer
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor Phillip Davis, Health Department
Mark McKenna, Facilities Chuck Samples, KVOE
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 6-27-2013 meeting. Martin/Briggs 3-0
• Attended special RDA meeting on Monday via conference call.
• Attended the Reading Recovery celebration on Saturday.
• Attended the JEDAC meeting on Wednesday.
• I will attend the Lyon County Extension meeting.
• Joint City/County meeting agenda items need to be discussed.
• Lyon County is a partial sponsor of the fireworks display tomorrow.
• Happy 4th of July to everyone.
• The petitioned Road Vacation Viewing is scheduled for next Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. and the Joint City/County meeting will follow at noon.
• I am in the process of compiling the Bonded Indebtedness from the districts and will submit the totals to the state next week.
• Happy 4th of July, be safe.
• Met with Mental Health Center board members to discuss their budget.
• Annual report for the bond is finished and filed.
• Met with auditors on the final audit which looked good.
• Attended the special RDA meeting.
• Attended the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• The fireworks are funded by the City of Emporia, Lyon County and the Lyon County Attorney’s Office with Diversion non-tax funds.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 7-5-2013 in the amount of $261,120.21.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 7-5-2013 in the amount of $219,229.03.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 7-5-2013 in the amount of $163,400.26. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Chip Woods, County Engineer discussed the Total Salary Related Benefits rate of 47.88% for highway department billing purposes. Also discussed was a sign posting on Road 180 as requested by Raymond & Peggy Barrett.
Motion: To Approve the Total Salary Related Benefits Rate for the Road & Bridge Department for billable labor costs.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Chip Woods, to return at 8:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 8:50 a.m.
Mark McKenna, Facilities discussed repair parts needed for the old x-ray machine and troubleshooting the automatic transfer switch on the jail generator.
Motion: To Approve the purchase of repair parts for the security x-ray machine from Smiths Detection in the amount of $3,028.11 to be paid from Fund 010-70-7655-10.
Note: This is repair cost for the back up security x-ray machine for the courthouse.
Direction given to Mark McKenna to submit total costs for the transfer switch at the jail to the commission as needed.
Phillip Davis, Flint Hills Community Health Center discussed the Memorandum of Understanding for the East Central Kansas Public Health Coalition for transferring the fiscal lead from FHCHC/LCHD to Coffey County HD. This is due to a change in staffing at Flint Hills Community Health Center, the Regional Health Emergency Preparedness Coordinator is employed by Coffey County.
Motion: To Authorize Commission Chairman to sign the “Memorandum of Understanding for the East Central Kansas Public Health Coalition for transferring the fiscal lead from FHCHC/LCHD to Coffey County HD.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Mike Halleran and Marc Goodman to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:30 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Mike Halleran, to return at 10:05 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:05 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Dan Williams and Sam Seeley, to return at 10:25 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:25 a.m. with a request to extend the session, to return at 10:40 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:42 a.m. with a request to extend the session, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:03 a.m. with information.
Commission will have no Study Session next week. The Action Session will convene on Wednesday, July 10th at 8:00 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further Business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. There will be no Study Session.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission