LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MAY 16, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Kay Calvert, LWV Chip Woods, County Engineer
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consulting Sam Seeley, Zoning
Doug Stueve, Dept. on Aging Jason Johnston, Gazette Reporter
Chuck Samples, KVOE Jeff Cope, Sheriff
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager Gary Stapp, County Appraiser
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-17-2013 in the amount of $151,724.04.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 5-9-2013 meeting as amended.
- ECKAN meeting is next Tuesday, I am unable to attend.
- Drug Court and health meeting are at the same time. I will attend the health meeting.
- I submitted a deposition on Tuesday.
- Attended an RDA meeting on Friday morning.
- Attended the Council on Aging meeting.
- I attended the Kansas County Clerks/Election Officials annual conference last week. Deputy Clerk, Lanny Linebarger and Election Deputy, Heather Dill attended the mandatory election session on Thursday. The Secretary of State’s Office staff informed election officials of the depleting HAVA Endowment Fund. Once depleted, counties will no longer share the cost of election equipment but will shoulder the entire cost. We need to plan for the future to replace equipment as needed. The County Clerk’s Association raised almost $3,000.00 for the scholarship fund and I want to thank Clint Bowyer, Richelle Birk, Flint Hills Towing and Gigers Streetrods for their generous donation of items for the silent auction.
- I will participate in the Emergency Management exercise next Tuesday at ESU.
- Next Wednesday I will attend a CIC software class in El Dorado.
- I attended an Ethics Investigation Conference in Lawrence last Friday.
- Completed all open enrollment session last week for health insurance.
- I am working on budget sheets for departments.
Chip Woods & Bruce Boettcher: Discussion of Americus Road improvement project.
Commission gave direction to BG Consulting to move forward with the 2013 Americus Road Improvement Project. Commission also gave Chip Woods direction to gravel Burlingame Road, from Road 250 to Road 270, to reduce sediment deposition in the Lyon County State Lake.
Chip Woods and Commission discussed a request from Howard Cole for graveling Road 115 for 0.7 miles, and Road B from Road 115 to Road 100. The Commission gave Engineer Woods permission to gravel the requested area. The Commission also gave Engineer Woods permission to accept the request from ESU for a grader and operator to spread dirt for the soccer field. The expense comparison, recycle trailer tally and the Natural Resources Advisory Board Meeting was also discussed.
Motion: To Authorize Commission Chairman to sign the Agreement Conditions of Grant from the Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority effective until June 30, 2014.
Doug Stueve discussed with Commissioners an agreement with Camp Alexander. This agreement will assist students in attending camp with a resource for transportation. Commission gave direction to Doug Stueve to proceed with the Public Transportation Agreement with Camp Alexander to provide transportation for students.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Rick Frevert, Jeff Cope and Dan Williams, to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:38 a.m. with information.
Motion: To indefinitely table a Memo of Understanding; Lyon County Host Plan as a reception Care Center for Coffey County for an event at Wolf Creek Generation Station.
Public Comment: Gary Stapp discussed the fee structure related to open records from the Appraiser’s Office.
Sam Seeley updated the Commission on the fairgrounds, stating there was good press coverage on the inmates painting the Anderson building and bookings of the Anderson and Bowyer buildings are very good.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Sam Seeley and Dan Williams, to return at 10:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10: 35 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and
Dan Williams, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on May 22, 2013 and the next Action Session on May 23, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission