LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MARCH 14, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager Chuck Samples, KVOE
Carrie Boettcher, ESU Emergency Mgr. Matt Zimmerman, Emporia City Mgr.
Brandy Nance, Hetlinger Developmental Services
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Briggs/Slater 3-0
a. Minutes of the 3-7-2013 meeting.
b. Warrants Payable 3-15-2013 in the amount of $187,688.38.
c. Payroll Payable 3-15-2013 in the amount of $219,127.95
d. Payroll Withholdings Payable 3-15-2013 in the amount of $263,404.48.
e. Approve the Entrance Application for Mike Darbyshire in the 2000 Block of
f. Approve canceling outstanding warrants 12 months and older, as attached,
numbered from 55481 to 56941, totaling $382.15.
g. Approve canceling outstanding warrants 12 months and older, as attached,
numbered 160981 to 302033, totaling $2,849.27.
h. Approve the appointment of Jared Davis as Pike Township Trustee.
i. Approve the Chairman signing the Annual Report for the Department of
Justice referencing the Federal Drug Account Fund 89 for the Sheriff’s
j. Approve the registration fee of $485.00 and related expenses for Sam Seeley
to attend the Association for State Floodplain Managers Conference from June
9-14, 2013 in Hartford, CT, to be paid from Fund 010-15-7164.
- I attended the Commission on Emergency Planning & Response meeting in Topeka last Thursday.
- I attended both the RDA Annual meeting on Thursday evening and the monthly meeting on Friday morning.
- Last Monday I met with the Greenwood County Emergency Management team.
- Heritage Trust Fund awarded $90,000 for preservation of Lowther Junior High School Building in Emporia, KS. A small part of the mortgage registration tax helps fund this trust.
- Tuesday, March 26th the Commissioners are invited to help distribute “Meals on Wheels” for the Friendship Center. The purpose of the National March for Meals is to bring awareness of hunger among our senior citizens. I plan to participate in this event on March 26th.
- I attended the annual RDA meeting on Friday.
- Saturday I will be attending Eggs & Issues, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and the North Lyon County breakfast.
- Reports on population are showing trends moving from rural areas to the metropolitan areas.
- Advance voting started on Wednesday, 22 people took advantage of advance voting. Friday I will be teaching election school for the League of Women Voters for Mobile Polling which starts next week.
- Tuesday I met with insurance representatives to look at health insurance options. There is ongoing discussion of the Lyon County Health Department obtaining their own health insurance.
- Met with Value-Net and city officials on phone service options.
- Concerns of budget cuts effecting ESU and the county.
Motion: To Proclaim the Month of March as “Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month”.
Motion: To Proclaim March 18-24, 2013, to be “Fix A Leak Week” and to encourage water conservation practices in Lyon County, Kansas.
Commission has given direction to Chris Wilkinson to allow the Family Peace Initiative to use the annex meeting room for one scheduled meeting for the week of March 17th.
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager: Update on Drought Committee progress on the Water Conservation Plan. Lyon County did not qualify for aid to cover costs due to the winter storms. The finalization process with the state for the Reading tornado is complete. Water conservation guidelines need to be escalated as the drought continues. Matt Zimmerman discussed water levels and contracting of water and usage. Rick discussed violation of water restrictions and an enforcement plan.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, to return at 10:10 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:10 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Slater/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on March 20, 2013 and the next Action Session on March 21, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission