LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
JANUARY 31, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, Controller
Others attending the meeting:
Rick Frevert, Emergency Manager
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as follows: Martin/Slater 3-0
a. Minutes of the 1-24-2013 meeting.
b. Warrants Payable 2-1-2013 in the amount of $68,657.86.
c. Payroll Payable 2-1-2013 in the amount of $217,080.56.
d. Payroll Withholdings Payable 2-1-2013 in the amount of $160,462.90.
e. Approve Waterloo and Emporia Townships Annual Reports.
f. Approve the purchase of up to 32 Express Poll-5000 Electronic Poll Books for polling precincts, not to exceed $7,708.71 from Fund 010-21-8313. Note: This is 10% of the total HAVA grant which Lyon County needs to match for this equipment.
• Last Thursday I attended the KAC Legislative Platform meeting in Topeka.
• I will attend the RDA meeting next Friday, February 8th.
• Very positive numbers in from sales tax.
• I attended the Council on Aging meeting, L-Cat ridership increased 10% in 2012, and participation by ESU students has much improved. The grant money from the State of Kansas has been denied for the L-Cat bus shelters due to the State demanding 3 bids for architectural services to design the shelters. This whole process cannot be completed by June 30, 2013. However, enough funds will be available to place bus stop signs where the shelters would have been. Any effort to have shelters for the L-Cat riders has been dropped.
• I will attend the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday.
• I am unable to attend the upcoming Soil District Conservation meeting.
• Received phone call from City Commissioner Kevin Nelson, regarding the chip and seal road improvement on west 18th.
• I spent time with Dan Williams working on period 13 year end process.
• We need to contact Representative Highland with any legislative issues.
• I will try to attend the Soil District Conservation meeting.
• Last Friday, Election Deputy, Heather Dill conducted a mock election for Turning Point Academy. On Monday, along with the League of Women Voter’s volunteers, we delivered and set up the election for Emporia High School students to vote for the Winter Sports candidates.
• Next week I will participate in a panel for incoming county clerks at a meeting in Topeka.
• We had complications while closing Period 13 for year end. Worked with CIC tech support to finalize this process.
• I have been in discussion with the city regarding the shared telephone contract.
• Reviewing health care numbers.
• I talked with Agler & Gaeddert about the upcoming audit process.
• I will attend the JEDAC meeting on Tuesday and the RDA meeting on Friday.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 02-13, a Resolution transferring $65,500.00 from the General Fund (Fund 10) to Tort Liability (Fund 53). Note: This money is needed in order for the county to complete its annual premium payment for insurance for the year 2013.
Motion: To Approve Americus, Ivy and Reading Township 2013 Annual Reports.
Motion: To Appoint Dan Williams as an Authorized Signatory for the State Pool Money Investment Board. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Appoint Rick Frevert to the North East Region Homeland Security Council.
Rick informed the Commission of a project to bid out a pulling vehicle for the emergency management trailer.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman to return at 9:00 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:00 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Commissioners scheduled an Action Session for next week with no Study Session.
Motion: To Adjourn. Briggs/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on February 7, 2013, no Study Session.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission