LYON COUNTY COMMISSION
JANUARY 17, 2013
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Scott Briggs, Chairman Rollie Martin, Vice Chairman
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consulting Sam Seeley, Zoning
Rick Frevert, Emergency Mgr. Mark McKenna, Facilities
Mike Halleran, Asst. County Counselor Chris Wilkinson, Facilities
Joe Torres, Clerk’s Office Ruth Wheeler, District Court
Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Briggs/Martin 2-0
Motion: To Appoint Rollie Martin as Lyon County Commission Chairman.
Motion: To Appoint Scott Briggs as Lyon County Commission Vice Chairman.
Motion: To Approve the Consent Agenda as corrected: Martin/Briggs 2-0
A. Minutes of the 1-10-2013 meeting.
B. Warrants Payable 1-18-2013 in the amount of $172,398.99.
C. Payroll Payable 1-18-2013 in the amount of $213,471.34.
D. Payroll Withholdings Payable 1-18-2013 in the amount of $267,526.47.
E. Approve the quote from Kanasland Tire & Service for twenty-four (24) truck tires for $10,100.88 and from Express Tire for six (6) motor grader tires for $9,210.00, for a total of $19,310.88 to be paid from the Road & Bridge Fund 011-00-8431.
F. Accept the 2012 Agnes City Township Annual Report.
G. Approve the purchase of a convection steamer from Muckenthaler Inc. for the Lyon County Jail in an amount not to exceed $16,000.00 to be paid from Fund 010-70-9001-18.
Note: inter-lineation payroll withholdings amount was corrected.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, Dan Williams, Marc Goodman, Sam Seeley and Bruce Boettcher, to return at 8:35 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 8:35 a.m. with information.
- I attended the RDA meeting on Friday.
- Saturday I attended the legislative platform discussion.
- Next Saturday is the Lyon County Fair Board Annual meeting.
- Monday I was administered the Oath of Office. Thank you to Judge Wheeler for performing the ceremony and Teresa Walters for her 4 years of service and commitment to Lyon County.
- Will be meeting with the Fairground Management Team and the Lyon County Fairgrounds Improvement Committee.
- I attended the RDA meeting on Friday.
- I will be on Talk of Emporia tomorrow.
- I was administered Oath of Office on Monday.
- Lobbyist indicated bills are set for hearings in the next 2 weeks. I may be called to testify.
- We are very busy processing Homestead and Food Sales Tax Filings and I will be offering assistance in Hartford, at Horizon Plaza and Broadview Towers again this year.
- Candidate filings have been steadily coming in, the filing deadline is next Tuesday, January 22nd at noon.
- I will be demonstrating a mock election for 7th & 8th grade class at Turning Point Academy next week with the assistance of Election Deputy, Heather Dill.
- Payroll changes have been completed.
- Employee paychecks will have 4% deduction for this pay period and 2% deduction from there forward for the FICA.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 1-13, a Resolution to Waive the GAAP Requirements in K.S.A. 75-1120. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Motion: To Approve the Cereal Malt Beverage Application for Sandra Price-Byrd contingent upon completion of the application process. Briggs/Martin 2-0
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman to return at 10:05 a.m. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:05 a.m.
Discussion of Yearly Appointments: Rick Frevert discussed PIO positions and recommended a team of Ruth Wheeler, Tammy Vopat, Vici Reynolds and Medalia Rodriguez to ensure coverage.
Motion: To Approve the following Yearly Appointments items 3 through 28 as attached.
2013 YEARLY APPOINTMENTS
3. Commission Representatives: Dan Slater
ECKAN: Dan Slater
Historical Society: Scott Briggs
Fair Board: Scott Briggs
Extension Board: Rollie Martin
Aging Advisory Board: Rollie Martin
RC&D: Voting Delegate: Mary Leffler / 1st Alternate:
RDA: Scott Briggs
Newman Regional Hospital Board: All Commissioners
FHTC Board of Trustees: Teresa Briggs 12-31-16
Flint Hills Community Health Center Board: Dan Slater
Lyon County Emergency Shelter Board: Dan Slater
JEDAC: Rollie Martin
4. Noxious Weed/Household Hazardous Waste Director: Russell Torrens
5. Emergency Preparedness Coordinator: Rick Frevert
6. Zoning/Flood Plain Director: Sam Seeley
7. Health Officer: Phillip Davis
8. County Counselor: Marc Goodman
9. Assistant County Counselor: Michael Halleran
10. Investment Officer: Dora Hartig & Sharon Gaede
11. Freedom of Information Officer: Tammy Vopat
12. County Engineer: Warren Chip Woods
13. County Appraiser: Gary Stapp
14. Security Supervisor: Tobey Kelly
15. Facilities Manager: Mark McKenna
16. Human Resource Director: Laurie Redeker
17. Controller: Dan Williams
18. WAW Community Partnership: ________________________
19. United Way Representative: Dora Hartig & Sharon Gaede
20. Emporia Community Foundation: Skip Evans – term expires 12-31-2015
21. ADA Compliance Officer: Warren Chip Woods
22. RDA Board: Ken Bazil – term expires 12-31-2014
23. Animal Control Officer: Felipe Perez
24. Official Radio Broadcaster: Emporia Radio Stations
25. Official Newspaper: The Emporia Gazette
26. Designated Depositories: All banks in the county except Bank of America
27. Public Information Officers: Tammy Vopat, Ruth Wheeler, Vici Reynolds
and Medalia Rodriguez.
28. Fairgrounds Manager: Sam Seeley
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, to return at 10:35 a.m. Martin/Briggs 2-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:37 a.m. with information.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 2-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on January 23, 2013 and the next Action Session on January 24, 2013.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission