The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Mark McKenna, Facilities Manager Sam Seeley, Zoning
Kathy Law, Emporia Reg. Quilt Guild Jane Theel, resident
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 9-19-19 meeting. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 9-27-2019 in the amount of $315,129.45. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Appointments: no action taken.
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• I attended the Health Department Board meeting on Tuesday.
• I attended the Council on Aging meeting on Monday.
• Last night I attended the Lyon County Farm Bureau Annual meeting.
• Tuesday is the JEDAC meeting.
• The Joint City/County meeting is October 9th which the County will host.
• I will meet with Shane Shively and Rob Gilligan on Monday.
• Receiving a lot of calls on the Price tract.
• I attended the tax workshop in Topeka yesterday.
• I will receive the state assessed utility valuation from the state on Monday and proceed with the tax roll process.
• The PBC Annual meeting is scheduled for October 7th at 6:00 p.m.
• I will attend JEDAC on Tuesday.
• I will attend the PBC meeting in October 7th.
• RDA meeting is coming up.
• I will attend a zoning meeting tomorrow.
• I will meet with Jim Witt today.
• Sales tax numbers are looking very good.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Executive Session for evaluation with Commissioners and Mark McKenna, to return at 8:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 8:55 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session for evaluation with Commissioners and Sam Seeley, to return at 9:15 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:15 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data Exception with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman, Sam Seeley and Controller Williams, to return at 9:35 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:35 a.m.
Public comment: Kathy Law presented Commissioners with a quilt made by the Emporia Regional Quilt Guild for the City of Emporia’s150th Anniversary and asked for their opinion on a place to display the quilt.
Jane Theel addressed the Commission regarding the Zoning Comprehensive Plan. She questioned the Commissioners about changing the zoning regulations. Commissioners said the next draft was coming out in October. There will also be open forum workshops to allow residents an opportunity to voice their opinion.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Confidential Data Exception with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman, Sam Seeley and Controller Williams, to return at 10:40 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:40 a.m. with a request for an extension, to return at 11:10 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:10 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on October 3, 2019.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission