The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Ryann Brooks, Gazette reporter Chip Woods, County Engineer
Jim Brull, Road & Bridge Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Tagan Trahoon, KVOE reporter Bruce Boettcher, BG Consultants
Chuck Boyce, I.T. Department Jean Barnett, I.T. Department
Jamie Williams, I.T. Department Amy Welch, Noxious Weed Director
Sharon Gaede, Treasurer Wendy Weiss, Register of Deeds
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 1-24-2019 meeting. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 2-01-2019 in the amount of $566,533.13. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Appointments: no action taken.
Motion: To Approve the 2018 Annual Reports for Jackson, Waterloo, Fremont, Center, and Americus Townships. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Discussion of the state mileage reimbursement rate. The county follows the state reimbursement rate for each year.
Motion: To Approve the 2019 Mileage Reimbursement rate of $.58 cents to mirror the state rate. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Note: This will take effect July 1, 2019.
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
Chip Woods presented Commissioners with a quote for the purchase of a used 2018 Holland TS6.130 Tractor and quote to purchase a 2019 Schulte XH1000 batwing mower.
Motion: To Approve the quote from KanEquip, Inc. for a used 2018 Holland TS6.130 Tractor and trade in D-155, a 2006 John Deere boom mower tractor with 9,934 hours for $48,226.73 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9026. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To Approve the quote from KanEquip, Inc. for a 2019 Schulte XH1000 batwing mower for $19,995.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9026.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, Engineer Woods, HR Director Huffman and Jim Brull, to return at 8:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 8:50 a.m.
Treasurer Gaede, Register of Deed, Wendy Weiss and Clerk Vopat discussed the upcoming Northeast Kansas County Official meeting which will be hosted by Lyon County.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners and HR Director Huffman, to return at 9:20 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:20 a.m.
Bruce Boettcher presented Commissioners with results of the bid letting for the Sheriff’s Office generator.
Motion: To Accept the low bid for the Sheriff’s Office Generator Project 18-1242E from Mitchell-Markowitz Construction, LLC in the amount of $201,560.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9021. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Public comment: no on present.
• Thank you for all of those who attended my mothers funeral.
• I attended the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting on Thursday.
• I attended the Council on Aging meeting.
• Monday is the Soil Conservation meeting.
• I will be unable to attend the JEDAC meeting.
• Next Wednesday we will have a Study Session beginning at 9:00 a.m. and following the road viewing at 12:30 p.m. will be the Joint City/County Luncheon meeting in the jury assembly room.
• Amy Welch has been appointed to the Noxious Weed Director position.
• Received several calls on the road conditions in Lyon County.
• Jeannine McKenna asked me to be on the Operations Committee.
• I will attend the Soil Conservation meeting.
• I attended the Legislative Reception in Topeka on Tuesday and Wednesday.
• I will be processing Homestead filings in Hartford tomorrow.
• The Road Viewing is scheduled for 10:00 on Wednesday morning.
• Attended the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
• Attended the Refinement meeting.
• I will attend the educators meeting.
• Working with vendors on the mail machine.
• Sales tax numbers are very solid.
• Tuesday is JEDAC.
• Friday is the RDA meeting.
• Last Tuesday I attended the Mental Health Initiative meeting. There is a nation initiative “Step Up” in the works.
• Received a legislative update from KAC.
Chuck Boyce presented Commissioners with a quote to purchase 113 computers in preparedness for EOL of Windows 7, a rotation plan for each department for computer upgrades, and consider options for the computer inventory.
Motion: To Approve the quote from CDWG for 113 Lenovo ThinkCentre computers and equipment in the amount of $80,000.00 to be paid from Fund 017-00-9001. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Note: This will consolidate the county computer inventory under the control of the I.T. Department.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners and I.T. Director Boyce, to return at 10:50 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:50 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners and Amy Welch, to return at 11:05 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:05 a.m.
Motion: To Approve signing the Nomination for County Weed Supervisor for Amy Welch. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Counselor Goodman and Controller Williams, to return at 11:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:35 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. and the next Action Session will take place on February 7, 2019.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission