The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Dan Slater, Vice Chairman
Scott A. Briggs, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Ryann Brooks, Gazette reporter Chip Woods, County Engineer
Bruce Boettcher, BG Consultants, Inc. Brandon Peoples, KVOE reporter
Jennifer Haugh, AAA John Koelsch, Undersheriff
Ellen Newell, Sheriff’s Office Deputy Justin Carr, Sheriff’s Office
Kim Parks, ESB Financial Deputy Charles Moore, Sheriff’s Office
Dave Corp, KDOT Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Slater 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 6-14-2018 meeting as amended.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 6-22-2018 in the amount of $151,739.96. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• After passing Resolution 10-18, it was discovered the document had the incorrect date. Commission will re-sign the corrected copy.
• Received a $2,000.00 grant from KCAMP for a grant related to the purchase on the rumble strips purchased by Road & Bridge.
• Participated in the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting.
• Next week is the Council on Aging meeting.
• Next Wednesday is the RDA Business Appreciation Dinner.
• Two calls came in voicing support of the Commissioners.
• Met with Ken Heerman.
• Friday was the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting. Thank you to Commissioner Martin and Slater for their support.
• The election process is going very well and the Federal Service ballots will be mailed prior to Saturday’s deadline.
• A Road Petition has been filed to open/alter and the Road Viewing date is July 18th and the Road Hearing is July 19th.
• The Title VI Audit resulted in the creation of a County Transition Plan, Michael Halleran is finalizing the document and Chip Woods is updating the ADA property report.
• Attended the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting.
• Met with the Extension Office personnel.
• Met with Blue Cross Blue Shield representatives yesterday.
• I approved the petition process for the City of Emporia liquor sales on Sundays. The wording on the ballot is directly from the Kansas Statutes.
• There is also another petition being prepared to dissolve USD #251 School District.
Chip Woods presented Commissioners with an agreement with BG Consultants, Inc. for several services related to the Prairie Street Overpass repairs.
Motion: To Approve the Agreement between Lyon County, Kansas and BG Consultants, Inc. for the Evaluation, Phase, Preliminary Engineering Services, and Construction Engineering Services for repairs to the Prairie Street Overpass for an estimate of $116,580.00 to be paid from Fund 011-00-7162.
Note: The City of Emporia will share the 50% cost as half of the bridge is in the city limits.
Bruce Boettcher presented Commissioners with a pay estimate for their consideration and the project update.
Motion: To Approve the 2017 RWD #1 Water System Improvement Contractor’s Application for Payment #1 in the amount of $90,725.00 payable to Phoenix Fabricators & Erectors, LLC. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the 2017 RWD #1 Water System Improvement Contractor’s Application for Payment #2 in the amount of $238,571.38 payable to Goins Enterprises. Slater/Martin 3-0
Jennifer Haugh presented the AAA Platinum Award to the Sheriff’s Office for their efforts for safety, seatbelt policy, school programs, click it or ticket, etc. Lyon County Sheriff’s Office has achieved this designation for 5 years and is the only county in Kansas who has done so.
Sharon Gaede presented Commissioners with the bank bids for the upcoming financial period. Two bids were received and Treasurer Gaede recommended accepting the bid from ESB Financial.
Motion: To Accept the best bid from ESB Financial for banking services for the period of July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2022. Martin/Slater 3-0
Note: Treasurer Gaede discussed the bids with Controller Williams who concurred.
Motion: To Amend the Agenda allowing for discussion of the 2019 Lyon County Budget. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Commissioners and Dan Williams discussed the 2019 Lyon County Budget. The budget is holding flat and is solid but Commissioners will continue to make adjustments.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session for Personnel Exception with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Janice Huffman, to return at 10:10 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:12 a.m.
Motion: To move to Non-Elected Personnel Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Marc Goodman, to return at 10:25 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 10:25 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman, Michael Halleran, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Slater 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Dan Williams and Michael Halleran, to return at 11:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:30 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on June 28, 2018.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission