The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Dan Slater, Vice Chairman
Scott A. Briggs, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending the meeting:
Mark McKenna, Facilities Manager Karla Quay, Attorney’s Office
Joe Foster, Emporia City Zoning Steve Willis, Comm. Corrections Dir.
Chip Woods, County Engineer Chuck Samples, KVOE Reporter
Chuck Boyce, I.T. Director Janice Huffman, Human Resources
Ben Jarvis, Morris County Lisa Jarvis, Morris County
Kenny Hiegert, Council Grove Theresa Hiegert, Council Grove
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as presented. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 5-24-2018 meeting. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 6-1-2018 in the amount of $118,489.86. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Payroll Payable 6-1-2018 in the amount of $268,420.38.
Motion: To Approve Payroll Withholdings Payable 6-1-2018 in the amount of $190,462.93. Martin/Slater 3-0
Dan Williams and Commissioners discussed a letter of support for the City of Emporia transportation grant.
Motion: To Approve signing a Letter of Support for the City of Emporia Highway 50 Kansas Department of Transportation Grant. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
• I received a thank you from Emporia Main Street for the county donation.
• I attended the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
• JEDAC meeting is Tuesday.
• I was unable to attend the Veteran’s Day Ceremony.
• There will be no Study Sessions scheduled for next month other than June 13th road viewing.
• I attended the Veteran’s Day Ceremony.
• I also attended the Veteran’s Day Ceremony.
• The Special Olympics Torch run is today, appreciate the Sheriff’s Office participation.
• I attended a budget workshop provided by the Department of Revenue in Topeka yesterday.
• Tomorrow I will receive the State Assessed Valuation and begin working on the Budget Estimates for the Districts.
• Also, tomorrow at noon is the Candidate Filing Deadline and the Deadline to Change Party Affiliation.
• I was asked to let Commissioners know that Senator Jerry Moran will hold a town hall meeting today at 3:00 p.m. at the American Legion.
Commissioners gave direction to Clerk Vopat to see that the pay phones in the courthouse lobby are removed and sold on Purple Wave. The phones are not in working order.
• I met with Bill Hinrichs, Insurance Planning Center on the TULIP policy for the fairgrounds.
• I also met with ValuNet about the software insurance.
• I attended the Fairgrounds Foundation meeting.
• Sales tax numbers are up from last month.
• I will not be in Commission meeting next week as I will attend the District and County Attorney Conference.
• I will attend JEDAC.
Mark McKenna presented Commissioners with a quote for electrical work at the Bus Barn.
Motion: To Approve the quote from Schumann Electric in the amount of $49,466.57, to be paid from Fund 017-00-9021 for electrical improvements on the Bus Barn. Martin/Slater 3-0
Marc Goodman and Karla Quay presented Commissioners with the 2019 County Attorney Budget request.
Joe Foster presented Commissioners with a request to consider a conditional use permit application for zoning.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 11-18, a Resolution issuing a Conditional Use Permit for a certain described area in the Emporia-Lyon County Metropolitan Planning Area of Lyon County, Kansas. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To move to Legal Attorney/Client Executive Session with Commissioners and Marc Goodman, to return at 9:30 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 9:30 a.m.
Commissioners attended the Special Olympics Torch Run.
Public Comment: Chuck Boyce gave an update on the fiber connections.
Road Vacation on Road A Resolution: Commissioners discussed the proposed Road Vacation of Road A from Road 310 North of Road 330. Commissioner Martin reviewed the history of the road vacation viewing and letters received since the hearing. Counselor Goodman provided information related to the road hearing and explained the situation of those involved taking in account the attorney/client issues. Commission gave Counsel approval to waive their attorney/client privilege. Commissioners discussed the map with Mr. Hiegert and Mr. Jarvis. Counsel suggested delaying the decision for 2 weeks barring further progress and information.
Motion: To Table Resolution 10-18, a Resolution Vacating a portion of Road A from Road 310 North of Road 330 Pursuant to K.S.A. 68-102.
Motion: To move to Legal Proprietary Executive Session with Commissioners, Dan Williams, Marc Goodman and Michael Halleran, to return at 11:05 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:07 a.m.
There will be no Study Session next week.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Slater 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on June 7, 2018.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission