LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
NOVEMBER 22, 2017
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Dan Slater, Vice Chairman
Scott A. Briggs, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Dan Williams, County Controller Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor
Others attending part of the meeting:
Brandon Peoples, KVOE reporter Ryann Brooks, Gazette reporter
Chip Woods, County Engineer
Call to Order / Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 11-22-2017 in the amount of $518,740.46. Slater/Briggs 3-0
Personnel changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications received.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 11-16-2017 meeting. Briggs/Slater 3-0
• Received applications for appointments we will consider next month.
• Friday I attended the Flint Hills Regional Council meeting in Onaga.
• Received an invitation for the Master Gardener’s meeting.
• Received an invitation to the ESU School of Business Holiday Party.
• Judicial Administration letter regarding our fiscal responsibility for the Judicial District.
• Attended the RDA meeting last Friday.
• Received a letter thanking us for the support of the Extension Office.
• I plan to attend the Crosswinds annual meeting.
• The 2017 Tax Roll is complete and tax bills have been mailed.
• I attended the Kansas Association of Counties Conference. It was a good conference and well attended.
• Commissioners need to schedule the fence viewing as requested.
• Finishing up open enrollment for insurance.
• Working in the phone system conversion.
• I had a meeting on Monday with Mark Miller, Mitchell Co. Counselor asking for help in collecting personal property taxes which will require a contract I will present at a later date.
Motion: To Approve signing the 2017 City/School General Election Abstract.
Chip Woods presented a Change Order for the bridge project overrun of materials, the recycle trailer report and the crushed rock distribution information.
Motion: To Approve Change Order #1 for additional repair work for Project 17-39 in the amount of $14,084.50 for PCiRoads, LLC to be paid from the Special Bridge Fund 033-00-9001. Briggs/Martin 3-0
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session to review Kansas Zoning Statutes with Commissioners, Michael Halleran and Sam Seeley to return at 9:00 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:00 a.m. with information.
Sam Seeley presented Commissioners with a request to consider adopting a joint comprehensive plan. Counselor Halleran asked if there was a legal notice of the meeting and if the plan included several items. Sam Seeley confirmed there was a public meeting. Counselor Halleran informed the Commission of the options related to the proposed resolution. Sam explained that the Comprehensive Plan is a working document and not regulation. This is an expression of the citizens of the county who voiced their wishes and concerns as the planning guide was prepared. Commissioners discussed the contents of the plan.
Motion: To Adopt Resolution 24-17, a Resolution approving the Joint City/County Comprehensive Plan “Plan ELC” and overriding the recommendations of the Lyon County Planning Board. Briggs/Slater 3-0
Commissioner Briggs commented on the advantages of creating and using a County Comprehensive Plan to create a goal and encourage economic development. Commissioner Slater commented that we need to have a vision. Commissioner Martin commented that the plan allows for zoning regulations to be compatible and will eliminate doubled zoning regulations. This is a vision in a positive light for our community. Commissioner Briggs commented that the transparent, creates economic growth and offers guidelines to clear up zoning regulations. Commissioners thanked the Boards and the members of the staff and all those involved for their work in the creation of the comprehensive plan.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session for Proprietary Information with Commissioners and Michael Halleran and Dan Williams, to return at 11:00 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Action Session will take place on November 30, 2017.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Master Clerk Lyon County Commission