LYON COUNTY COMMISSION MINUTES
MAY 29, 2014
The Board of Lyon County Commissioners met in Action Session at 8:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers with the following people in attendance:
Rollie Martin, Chairman Scott A. Briggs, Vice Chairman
Dan Slater, Commissioner Tammy Vopat, County Clerk
Marc Goodman, County Counselor Dan Williams, County Controller
Others attending part of the meeting:
Michael Halleran, Asst. Co. Counselor Laurie Redeker, Human Resources
Jason Johnston, Emporia Gazette Gary Stapp, Appraiser
Chuck Samples, KVOE Reporter
Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance
Motion: To Approve the Agenda as amended.
Motion: To Approve Warrants Payable 5-30-2014 in the amount of $85,307.13.
Personnel Changes: no action taken.
Permits: no applications submitted.
Motion: To Approve the Minutes of the 5-22-2014 meeting as corrected.
• I attended Memorial Day Ceremony.
• I also attended a Health Department meeting, we worked with auditors.
• Ann Mayo’s retirement party is tomorrow.
• Attended the meeting Friday evening for the announcement of the Reading, Kansas post office. Lion’s Club planted a tree to honor the City of Reading.
• Dirty Kanza events begin tonight at 6:00 p.m.
• I participated in the Keep It a Safe Summer event at the fairgrounds last week. Thank you to Marc Goodman for the donation of Diversion Funds for the event.
• Monday I attended the Memorial Day Ceremony.
• Next Tuesday is JEDAC meeting.
• The month of June the Commission will meet for both Study and Action Sessions to allow for all budget discussions.
• On June 19 at 10:00 a.m. Joe Norton of Gilmore & Bell will be here to discuss economic development.
• Last week I helped staff the Crime Stoppers booth during Keep It a Safe Summer at the fairgrounds.
• Deputy Lanny Linebarger will record the minutes of the commission meeting next week.
• I attended a CIC training session yesterday in El Dorado.
• The deadline to file for office is June 2nd at noon.
• Election board workers have been trained on the electronic poll books.
• Working on budgets and finalizing the open enrollment insurance applications.
• Emailed all Services to set appointments with the Commission in June.
• We filled our part time detective investigator position with another retired detective.
• Next week I am unable to attend the JEDAC meeting and the RDA finance meeting. Michael Halleran will appear in commission meeting in my absence, I will attend a National District Attorney’s Board Conference.
Gary Stapp updated the Commission on the Real Estate Tax Roll. The tax roll has been certified to the County Clerk. There have been more appeals than in the past but those were expected as countywide values are up slightly due in part from new construction.
Dan Williams presented the insurance renewal proposal for the fair grounds.
Motion: To Approve the Insurance Renewal with Philadelphia Insurance Companies for the Lyon County Fairgrounds.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Michael Halleran, Dan Williams and Laurie Redeker, to return at 9:15 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:15 a.m. with direction and information.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, Marc Goodman and Dan Williams, to return at 9:30 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 9:38 a.m.
Public Comment: no one present.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners and Sam Seeley to return at 10:25 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:23 a.m. with information and direction.
Motion: To move to Legal Executive Session with Commissioners, to return at 10:40 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 10:40 a.m.
Motion: To move to NEP Executive Session with Commissioners, to return at 10:55 a.m.
Meeting reconvened at 11:00 a.m.
Motion: To Adjourn at 11:03 a.m. Martin/Briggs 3-0
There being no further business before the Board, the next Study Session will take place on June 4, 2014 and the next Action Session on June 5, 2014.
Tammy Vopat Rollie Martin, Chairman
Lyon County Clerk Lyon County Commission